77 280z barely running

metrickillers

Hello so i just got done changing a maniflold gasket and after i put everything back together my car will barely start then instantly dies. i have done the procedure many times but i have never run into this problem before. my intake is also popping, it smells terrible, and seems like its not running on all 6 cylinders. ive checked everything and i dont understand why this is happening. and to make matters worse im starting school next monday and i need this to run because its my daily driver. if someone could please get back to me that would be great.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a troubleshooting guide in the Factory Service Manual. It takes you step by step through checks and testing. Download a Free copy for your car at www.xenonS30.com in the reference section. Unfortunately we are unable to tell you whats wrong with your car. The answer will be found at your car and not in this forum. Backfiring through the intake usually indicates a lean condition and often damages the AFM. It could be a number of things causing the problem. AFM, Fuel pump, massive air leak, even electrical problems. The way to fix it is to start going through the checks in the manual. Without seeing your car in person and conducting tests, all anyone here can do is guess. Guessing is expensive and time wasting, and not the correct way to diagnose your car problem. So do the tests, and if you want to, post your findings. Someone may have advice that may help you once you isolate the problem/s.

• Like 2

Car was running on 6 cylinders before the gasket was done yes ?

Car did not run rough before ?

Is this the first time you have done an intake/exhaust gasket on this zcar ?

What torque specs did you put the bolts/nuts to ?

( no shame in admitting/disclosing as this is how we learn !!! ,,, if you only knew some of the stubborn headed stuff I did at age 15-16 to cars ,,, when I knew better lol )

:)

The manual will show you the correct way to install the manifolds once you get them back off. You need a torque wrench and tighten it down with the sequence shown in the manual to the correct torque specs. Dont get upset with yourself. At least you are trying. The manual is written for people with a high school education so you should be able to use it just fine. Welcome to the correct way to working on your car. The manual you will be using is the same one professionals use all over the country in their repair shops. Take your time and do it right, and you will be back on the road very soon. Good luck kid. Let us know how it goes. BTW, nice car!

torque sets? manual? I'm must be lucky or something cause I haven't done any of this, simply gone with my gut, and the only issue I've run into was out of my control.

edit: well to be perfectly honest i don't think its all that hard to guess what 15 lbs of torque is at.

torque sets? manual? I'm must be lucky or something cause I haven't done any of this, simply gone with my gut, and the only issue I've run into was out of my control.

edit: well to be perfectly honest i don't think its all that hard to guess what 15 lbs of torque is at.

Well yes ,, guessing 15ft-lbs is not tough at all for experienced ;)

In contrary ,,, some people torque the living shit out of the very same bolts ,,, thinking somehow it will work/doesn't make a difference.

either psychologically "making up" for stripped or missing bolts/nuts ,,, which as we all know can possibly make the gasket leak anyways .. lol

or just simply not knowing better in the first place is another reason.

MetricKillers.

Why was the intake/exhaust gasket replaced in the first place ?

Were you looking for a problem or swapping out parts ?

Was the car running good before the work ?

We can help :)

my car was running ok before but it had a bad exhaust leak so thats why i replaced the gasket (it was blown and the far right side) . and i have removed the manifolds several times before. the first time was for heat wraping my exhaust, then i took the intake off to clean it out, injectors, replaced hoses, etc. but they both went on with no problems and it started right up. but this is the only time it would not run.

i found this and this is basically what its doing but its insanely worse. im going to have to wait for tomorrow but i think i might know whats going on. i think on the bottom side of my intake the washers are behind the intake, like touching the cylinder head , that would cause a leak right? oh and thanks for the help i didnt think i would get much.

i think on the bottom side of my intake the washers are behind the intake, like touching the cylinder head , that would cause a leak right?

Yes, that would be a pretty majour problem, I would think. I haven't very much experiance in that field, but I'm pretty sure that is where your problem lies.

but i think i might know whats going on. i think on the bottom side of my intake the washers are behind the intake, like touching the cylinder head , that would cause a leak right? oh and thanks for the help i didnt think i would get much.

Yes sir that would cause a major intake leak ! and a lot of issues.

No worries ,,, snap to it !

:)

here ya go follow this link on how to post pics ! === http://community.rat...e-photo-albums/

*photobucket* is user friendly for noobs like me :lol:

I prefer to use "photobucket" ,,,

*literally just open an account at photobucket ,,,

*upload photo's

*click on album of picture desired to share

*click on specific picture wanting to share

*move cursor to the right side of the screen

*click on the "IMG" code ( literally just click on the bar and it automatically copy's it for you ! )

*come back to this thread and right click then hit "paste"

*then hit "reply" on ratsun and you're done !

easy peezy !