can 68 - 69 dashes be changed?

DatMo

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole 70-73 dash wiring harness. You also have to make new mounting tabs for the dash to go in. It fits perfect, but it's not a direct bolt in. These interchange threads you keep making is getting a little ridiculous. I would 1. Search the site as this has all been covered before or 2. If you can't find the answer then a. make one singe thread "called what can I swap between years" or something or b. ask these questions in your build thread.

The whole 70-73 dash wiring harness. You also have to make new mounting tabs for the dash to go in. It fits perfect, but it's not a direct bolt in. These interchange threads you keep making is getting a little ridiculous. I would 1. Search the site as this has all been covered before or 2. If you can't find the answer then a. make one singe thread "called what can I swap between years" or something or b. ask these questions in your build thread.

didnt even realize same question guy and not even a car yet BUMP

I got a 4 dr 68.

XmHVY.gif

Please for the love of God do not switch anything around if you have a 68... 68s are the rare years and are sought after. You mentioned you wouldnt buy an auto because you didnt like it, why would you buy a 68 if you didnt like it?!

If you want to swap all the parts around, then I will gladly take all of your 68 items.

Please for the love of God do not switch anything around if you have a 68... 68s are the rare years and are sought after. You mentioned you wouldnt buy an auto because you didnt like it, why would you buy a 68 if you didnt like it?!

If you want to swap all the parts around, then I will gladly take all of your 68 items.

It's seriously JUST the dash. I hate it but I know that it's suppose to be original and all so I was debating. Sorry for the multiple threads. multiple questions and such.

Seriously though... youll ruin the 68. Im not too worried about people putting unoriginal parts on cars, not all my parts are original. But if you own a rare 68, you better keep the parts that define a 68. Otherwise whats the point. If youre dead set on swapping out dashes for the 70-series, then I honestly will take the dash; I will give it a good home.

Seriously though... youll ruin the 68. Im not too worried about people putting unoriginal parts on cars, not all my parts are original. But if you own a rare 68, you better keep the parts that define a 68. Otherwise whats the point. If youre dead set on swapping out dashes for the 70-series, then I honestly will take the dash; I will give it a good home.

It's actually not even working but I'm pretty sure it's just some fuses.

I recommend keeping it and not giving it to me. Keep the 68 a 68... if you decide to get rid of it, I hope you PM me and we can work something out. Id rather it be used on your car though. I also recommend that you make a build thread and you can receive help in there when you have issues. We would also like to see pictures of this car you picked up.

I recommend keeping it and not giving it to me. Keep the 68 a 68... if you decide to get rid of it, I hope you PM me and we can work something out. Id rather it be used on your car though. I also recommend that you make a build thread and you can receive help in there when you have issues. We would also like to see pictures of this car you picked up.

Got it. so is a build thread more of just a posting of my car and problems? since you're here, what's the piece that;s behind the back seat in the 68? My car didnt come with one and I can't seem to find one.

A build thread would be a chronological posting of what youre doing to your car. You write a quick intro in the first post, maybe how you found the car, what your plans are, and then you post 100 pictures. Then when you work on the car at all, you post what you did followed by another group of pictures. People will comment on your build, provide helpful suggestions, and advice to further along your process.

Are you talking about the MDF piece that goes between the seat and the lattice structure to the trunk? Its just to keep fuel vapors and noise out of the main interior. Not required though you can make you own if you so choose. I actually just sent a template of that piece to another member here so they can make their own.

• Like 1

A build thread would be a chronological posting of what youre doing to your car. You write a quick intro in the first post, maybe how you found the car, what your plans are, and then you post 100 pictures. Then when you work on the car at all, you post what you did followed by another group of pictures. People will comment on your build, provide helpful suggestions, and advice to further along your process.

Are you talking about the MDF piece that goes between the seat and the lattice structure to the trunk? Its just to keep fuel vapors and noise out of the main interior. Not required though you can make you own if you so choose. I actually just sent a template of that piece to another member here so they can make their own.

I'll start a build quest right now. yeah, its sits right above or near the fuel tank? Mine was a wooden piece near the speakers but I think it'd be nicer to have an original piece. I want a complete vinyl setup.

There is an MDF piece for the parcel shelf (where the rear speakers would be if someone installed them... they only came with one mono speaker from the factory and its under the dash) and a separate piece that goes between the rear seat and the place the back of the seat mounts to. I can snap a photo if need be.

There is an MDF piece for the parcel shelf (where the rear speakers would be if someone installed them... they only came with one mono speaker from the factory and its under the dash) and a separate piece that goes between the rear seat and the place the back of the seat mounts to. I can snap a photo if need be.

Well a photo would be much easier. just to get the exact idea. but yeah, I dont have one that goes under the dash nor the one that fits where the speakers would belong. I cant seem to find any thread selling them.

Ok here you go... I took pictures of everything:

Im not too familiar with the stock setup for the single mono speaker, but this should be about right (under the dash on the passenger side):

7809674664_6d6cea96d3_z.jpg

Most people remove that (if they even have one) and install front speakers here (you can see the circular hole behind the kick panel):

7940245780_9747c68824_b.jpg

This is what covers the above picture:

9209789135_9700c18d6d_b.jpg

Please do not cut up your door cards to fit speakers. Theres no reason for it. The above picture shows the kick panel cover which is just MDF board so its easy to cut for speakers, is easily replaceable (read: cheap), and theres already cutouts in the body for speakers behind that panel. Cutting up door cards is just retarded when installing them in the kick panels is so easy.

Here is where most people put the rear speakers:

9212572610_4f7e8db116_b.jpg

Under that MDF board is this:

7809676726_2884c96856_z.jpg

Just cut out that board to the shape you need to fit your speakers over the whole already in the parcel shelf.

This is the MDF piece that goes behind the rear seat:

9209789539_273192d826_b.jpg

Here is how its installed:

9209790269_204e235c3a_b.jpg

Here is another MDF board for the trunk... most cars dont come with one these days. They cover the gas tank for dings and such when you throw shit in your trunk:

9209789987_9bf5f5cc36_b.jpg

Here it is installed:

9212574378_720fafe71e_b.jpg

There is a gap there in the middle of the MDF board... its covered by a plastic package tray shown here:

7230894606_48389f5e21_b.jpg

That should give you everything.

Are there any center consoles on 68's? No. correct?

I forgot you asked this. No, so consoles. There are JDM consoles that you can import if you find them. There are a couple in the States already, but you have to find someone looking to sell. There was one for sale a few months ago on here. Most people find consoles from the yards to swap in. I just wanted a cup holder so I installed one of the ones I bought while in Japan.

I forgot you asked this. No, so consoles. There are JDM consoles that you can import if you find them. There are a couple in the States already, but you have to find someone looking to sell. There was one for sale a few months ago on here. Most people find consoles from the yards to swap in. I just wanted a cup holder so I installed one of the ones I bought while in Japan.

thanks. I just need to figure out hwo to fix dashes now

• 1 year later...

old thread but it looks like it (should) has exactly what i was after. I have a 69 with the mono speaker. I was planning on running some kick panel speakers and some in the parcel tray. I don't want to be too intrusive or cut anything up i don;t need too, but some tunes would be nice.

do most people remove the stock kick panels, and fab new ones with speakers?  Seems easy enough. I'll do some searching for other pics but is there a chance you still have those? They don't appear to be showing up anymore.