floor pan gusset (seat mount) on 510 is cut. should I fix it?

wat

Previous owner installed some other seats on my 510 and cut the gusset on the floor pan. how much structural support does it add? I imagine the tranny tunnel stiffens it up quite a bit and it's been years since I've been in a 510 so I don't know what it was like to have the gusset in place.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put it this way, if your rocker panels are half way cut off, or rusted through.. and you cut that brace . the car goes "ping", and the chassis flex's/moves

there is NOTHING more stuctural on a 510 than... 1) rocker panels ... 2) door jams ... 3) that seat brace ... 4) tranny tunnel/floors

Put it this way, if your rocker panels are half way cut off, or rusted through.. and you cut that brace . the car goes "ping", and the chassis flex's/moves

there is NOTHING more stuctural on a 510 than... 1) rocker panels ... 2) door jams ... 3) that seat brace ... 4) tranny tunnel/floors

+1 to Indys comments, although, the most strength comes from the turret (roof).

I'd certainly agree with welding some sort of brace close to where the original one was.

The chassis is designed to tie into the floor pan, trans tunnel, lateral seat braces and the various other points.

The floor pans also have the suage lines/ dimples pressed into them which gives additional strength.

Not the best pic, but, this is the floor of my race car shell.

The front seat support (which ties into the transmission tunnel) also ties into the front chassis rail.

Anyway, in short, if you have access to a folder and a welder, it won't hurt to make up a replacement brace.

Cheers

Jason

fa4a1e43414a6dc7e8328494afa06a68.jpg