280ZX Brakes On 610 Wagon

Zeusimo

So The Brakes On My Wagon Are Gone

Instead Of Fixing The Stock System I Rather Uprgade

Since I Would Probably End Up Doing It Anyways

So I Am Basically Wanting To Put A 280ZX System On My Car

I Already Have Front Struts From A 80' 280ZX

New Rotors, Pads, Rebuilt Calipers...

But For The Rear I've Heard The Caliper Hits The Inner Fender?

Been Reading Ppl Use 200SX Or Maxima Calipers

I Never See These At The JY

I Know I Will Have To Figure Out A Way To Make The Parking Brake Work

I Will Also Make My Own Brakets

So My Basic Question Is

Would I Use A 82' Master?

Can I Use Rear 280ZX Disks And Calipers?

I Was Reading That I Must Use The 82' Proportioning Valve...

I Don't Know What That Is... Does The 610 Even Have One?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use the '80 strut but install the 610 coils. You may cut the lower zx coil perch off and slide your 610 perch on and ...

1/ Weld it in place

2/ Lower slightly and weld in place, but this isn't optimal as you risk bottoming out when car is lower on a stock soft spring.

3/ Cut one coil off the spring. This will increase the spring stiffness and reduce the chance of bottoming out on a lowered car.

4/ Use split collars to support the lower spring perch in place of welding in 2/ and 3/ above. This allows adjustment of ride height that welding does not.

You will need a larger master for the larger calipers. The 15/16" master from a '79-'81 is best as the '82-'83 has the mounting bolts in a horizontal position and won't easily fit the 610 booster.

The rear calipers are almost inside the rear rims and unlikely they will hit the body. Maybe you mean hitting the rims. This is an almost certain thing on the fronts with the larger zx calipers and 14" rims are a must. If they clear the fronts the back won't be a problem.

Most Datsuns don't have a brake proportioning valve, rather, they design in front/rear bias by using smaller wheel cylinders in the back relative to the brakes in the front.

For rear calipers the S110 ('80-'83 200sx) will work, with the '82-'83 being the smallest best looking. OR the 81-'84 Maxima with the '83-'84 being the smallest best looking.

The 610 (and 710) and the 510 goons have a parking brake that pulls small rods towards the center of the differential to apply them. The S110 200sx are the same and should be easy to connect to the 510 goons set up. The Maxima rear calipers are pulled at a different angle by cables but might work.

The following is a Dime Quarterly write-up for late S110 rear disc conversion to a 510 goon. Not the 510 goon is an H-190 differential where as the early 610 and later automatics were H-165. If you have the H-190 axle then this article will be of great help to you.

Volume 11 issue 1

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0ByCvxnHNk90SYzc4N2E1MWEtMzg0MC00YTE4LTkxZGQtM2RjODA5ODA1YjU1/edit?docId=0ByCvxnHNk90SZDUzNWZiZjEtYmZmMi00OTUyLWExMDMtMDdkZGQwYjYxYzc1

So The 200SX Calipers Would Be Easiest To Figure Out A Parking Cable?

Would I Also Use 200SX Rotors?

Would 15/16 Master Work With Those?

How Do I Find Out What Axle I Have?

I Think My Wagon Was Automatic From Factory

I Was Thinking About The Rims Hitting..

My Bad

I Have 15s So I'm Sure I'm Fine

You will need a larger master for the larger calipers. The 15/16" master from a '79-'81 is best as the '82-'83 has the mounting bolts in a horizontal position and won't easily fit the 610 booster.

Ahhh my mistake (sorry) all L20B powered 4 speeds or automatics had the H-190 in them. Only the '73 and the L18 powered autos got the H-165. I just measured the outside diameter of an H-165 axle tube, it's 2 3/8" My H-190 axle tube is 2 7/8" a big difference.''

Here's the thing...

The '80-'81 200sx had an H-165 diff with disc brakes.

The '82-'83 200sx had an H-190 with disc brakes.

Figure out what you have in the 610 and go searching.

The 710 goon only came with an H-165 so I tried fitting '80-'81 200sx axles into it and.... they fit exactly. I know this won't help you if you do have an H-190 but maybe the '82-'83 200sx H-190 axles will do the same. The axles will have the disc brake caliper, mount and rotor on it. Just slide in and bolt up?

Well Jason will be glad to hear that I am stripping parts from the parts goon. Pulled the bottom leaf springs odd today. Both lower short ones were broken.

710rearsuspension001Large.jpg

The plan is to remove the short on the '76 and add a 2nd second spring to stiffen it for use when lowered. Pulled the axles while bent over anyway and salvaged the 3.70 H-165-B differential.

710rearsuspension007Large.jpg

710rearsuspension006Large.jpg

(now if only I can talk Mrs. d into letting me swap it into her auto sedan, I'll have a 4.11 for myself)

For years now I've wondered if I could put S110 rear disc brakes on a 710. So with the goon axle out I put my '81 200sx rear axle beside it and the results are promising!

710rearsuspension003Large.jpg

So I slipped it in and the bearing fit and it did bolt up. The spline engaged the diff and turned it.

710rearsuspension004Large.jpg

For better results I will need slightly longer bolts to pass through the thicker caliper bracket.

710rearsuspension005Large.jpg

Jason do you still have the calipers to this??? laugh.gif