76 620 Trans Issues

Well here's the story........

I bought a 76 620 w/ auto trans that had been sitting for a while. Got it running with no problems. Drove it for a couple weeks and it drove great aside from having it rap out before it would shift. Vacuum line on the side of the trans causes this from what I've read. Then one day I'm driving it and it seems to jump out of gear and into nuetral. I don't feel or hear anything, but the rpms climb with no forward movement. I pull over and put it park and turn it off. After a minute or so I start it back up and it shifts into gear and I start to head home. Made it two blocks and it happens again, but this time it never goes back into gear. I check the fluid and it's nasty brown and purple and smells burnt. I chalk this up to the old trans just being on it's last leg and pull the old trans out.

Got another one from a buddy that worked fine he just put a manual in his. I put the new one in along with a new filter and pan gasket. Fresh fluid as well. Also I blew out the lines and made sure nothing was clogged up. I fire the truck up and this one doesn't do anything either. It feels like it shifts fine and locks into park, but will not spin the drive shaft. I've tried everything I can think of with no luck. I put fluid in the torque converter when I put the trans in. I have triple checked everything from the flywheel to the torque converter to the input shaft, etc, etc.

I'm out of ideas as well as patience at this point. Any ideas? I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you have nothing to loose so pull the right cooler hose from the tranny off the rad and have a pail handy to catch any fluid. Have someone start the truck. Does any fluid squirt out the line???

If not then the oil pump inside isn't working

For the automatic to work it has to have hydraulic pressure from the oil pump. Left over oil from the pump is fed to some components to lube them but most goes through the torque converter to cool it and then on to the rad to cool the fluid.

Well, I had some time after work to finally get underneath the truck today. No fluid coming out of either hose. Pulled both off and blew out the lines and cooler again. Nothing clogging it up and nothing coming out still. So is there anything else it could be instead of the pump at this point? Did different years have a different length input shaft?

The teeth will be a little off but not enough to prevent the starter from engaging, though mine was a little loud since it was grabbing teeth that had been worn the other way, and the backspacing wasn't right. What it does is sets the torque converter off by just a little bit, and the fluid flow passages then don't line up.

So if it was in backwards...I could have the plate off and still see it spinning? I wasn't sure it was in backwards or not, but I saw it was spinning and figured I had it right. Could this be my problem then? Also, there's a lip on one side of the plate. Should that lip be facing the rear or front side of the truck?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...