pistons

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a new set of flattop and a set of dometop L16 pistons, but like those above they're STD/STD. Finding a STD L16 isn't easy. And since I have about zero use for an L16, I wonder now why I bought them.

What I need is a set of L20B STD pistons. Somehow I managed to lose ONE piston (and rod) from an L20B I took apart 14 years ago and just now want to reassemble. One piston is already in (from 14 years ago) but all I found were 2 more and the rod cap nuts for the 4th. I have a set of .040 over pistons, but I really want to use them in a block that needs that much overbore (040 is 1mm, basically they're 86mm pistons)

Persistance? More like procrastination. Doesn't help that I've lost parts, and had 2 engines in pieces at the same time. What was 2 separate piles in 1994 became several dozen small piles by 1999, and wasn't touched until a month ago when all the little piles became one big pile. But I'm still shy one piston/rod assembly. And it's not like I can look for it every night, because this stuff is in my folk's garage, which is nearly as bad as my garage. My folks (well, my Dad) want their garage back, and it'd be a heck of a lot easier to get the car in there out if I were to reassemble it there rather than try to haul it out in pieces to reassemble here (I didn't just take the engine apart- I took the whole damn car apart).

Nah, already saw what Z20S flattops with a L-series heads does. I may get another engine for parts- someone offered me 2 complete (but one is completely apart) L20Bs with a lot of new parts in boxes, clutches, extra heads, etc. That is if he responds back.

I wouldn't be going through all this if I could find a NAPS-Z dogleg, but so far I have yet to find ONE in a wrecker. They're awful rare. Have plenty of L-series doglegs (2 or 3) and NAPS-Z 63L 4-speeds, but no NAPS-Z doglegs.

Not sure about that one- main problem is it has no speedometer output (the speedo output was on the T-case on those), and I really kinda want the speedo to work. Plus I'm not 100% sure it's the same length, and being a non-welder I am pretty much limited to what bolts in. I need engines for 2 '78 510s. I have one NAPS-Z that would drop in, but it has a 4-speed on the end and I'd much rather a 5-speed. The longtail won't work in these- I'd have to remove the console and relocate the parking brake. That'd work for one, but I'd still need to build an engine for the second.

I may just drop the NAPS-Z in my '78 Wagon with the 4-speed as-is, it would require some wiring mods and a new throttle cable (both because of the opposite side intake) but that's about it, and build up the L20B for the hatchback. Dunno.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.