HELP: wiring ka24de (can/am box)

so i have a 86 720 (z24) that im putting a 95 ka into. theres alot of wires i dont need, seeming it was carbureted, so i figured id pull out my old harness and remove what i dont need. then id obviously have to re-wire my old harness back in. now this is where my question lies. i have the easy wire can/am box that jeff made me so then ill i have to do is wire the fuel set up and ecu to the box? i have the 720 fuse box but do i need the ka fuse box too? should i be going at this differently? do i keep the 2 harnesses separate? im not to sure on what to do help me out

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i have a 86 720 (z24) that im putting a 95 ka into. theres alot of wires i dont need, seeming it was carbureted, so i figured id pull out my old harness and remove what i dont need. then id obviously have to re-wire my old harness back in. now this is where my question lies.

If the truck is carburated, there won't be a whole lot to remove.

i have the easy wire can/am box that jeff made me so then ill i have to do is wire the fuel set up and ecu to the box?

Yes. Follow the diagrams in the wire a KA into anything thread.

i have the 720 fuse box but do i need the ka fuse box too?

The 720 fuse box will still power the trucks systems. You will want to use the trucks start/ignition system to run the starter and you will need to integrate the charging system into the KA alternator.

You do not use the KA fuse box. the Can/Am box will be the 'fuse box' for the KA

should i be going at this differently?

Not many ways to do it.

do i keep the 2 harnesses separate?

Yes. Keep the engine harness seperate from the truck harness.

im not to sure on what to do help me out

Hope that helps. :)

It depends on how you feel about wiring. I enjoy redoing the harness and find it fun. If wires scare or intimidate you I would leave it. It will work fine with everything left in the rig.

im not gonna lie wiring kind of intimidates me because i havent wired a whole truck before but i think it would look alot better with all the old wires removed so i thats why i kind of want to just pull em out. however im scared im going to re-wire it wrong and have a huge headache when trying to get the truck started

Sounds like you should leave it. Leave it like Steve and enjoy the benefits of fuel injection instead of learning the 620 harness inside and out. You will be a happier man. Trust me!!

Cluster fucks come when people don't put the time and effort into making the engine bay look nice. Take a new car for example, those things are packed with shit. It doesn't look bad though. If everything is neat and tighty the engine bay will look great. Steve's engine bay looks awesome!

If you take your time you can make it look clean.

Here is a shot right after my swap.

Picture013-6.jpg

Here is one after I had some time to clean it up a bit.

IMG_2104.jpg

I built a relay cover that mounts to the stock bracket to cover the new fuse box and relays. It also covers a large portion of the extra wiring and all the truck relays.

This is what is under the cover, but with the fused wires plugged into that fuse panel.

Picture066.jpg

Remember that you don't have to get it all done at once. If you want to clean it up and removing wiring later you can. :)

• 4 weeks later...
2eDeYe' timestamp='1341242015' post='711706']

Hope that helps. :)

Im also about to do the wiring for my ka swap into a 210 and I had similar questions. So youre saying that you dont use the ka engine bay fuse panel? therefore you use the original datsun starter and charging wires so that the alt is fused? My biggest confusion was about the alt being fused; so it uses the old charge fuse in the stock datsun fuse panel?

You don't use any fuses from the KA donor. You will need to add fused and relayed power to supply to the ECU though.

The vehicle charging and starting circuits will need to be attached (spliced in) to the KA alternator and starter, it's pretty straight forward if you car has an internally regulated alternator. This allows you to use the stock charge light and ignition switch.

• 1 year later...

Hellllp me please all i need to do is wire up this truck and shes on the road, im just having trouble with a few things..im pretty sure i have the box wired in correctly. but im not sure what i have to do to hook up my igntion to the starter and hook up the alternator? Ik i need a + and a - on the starter but whatelae do i have to do?

Im not good with wires

• 4 months later...

I was wondering if u guys could help me out. I have power to everywhere i should however i have no spark or fuel. I get fuel up to my rail but not in the cylinders. Im assuming this problem is injectors, any thoughts?

Now for spark i have 12v at the cam angle sensor so i figured it had to be my dizzy, so i tried another one, with new cap and rotor, and still no spark. I have a crank angle sensor on top of my bell housing that is unpluged because i cannot find a lower harness for a 95 ka. could this be my problem or do u have any other ideas?

I have everything on the box wired up correctly except one wire and i tried two wires that i figured could be them. This wire is the IACV wire under the run 1 section on the box. Im hoping this is it cause this baby needs to start up and wake up from her long nap lol

Not running checks

1. 1995 is still OBD1 have you checked the codes?  

2. Does your fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the on position?  

3. Does the fuel pump run while you are cranking the engine?  

4. How are you checking spark?  95 has the coil built into the cap doesn't it?  

5. Have you actually checked injector pulse?

Power not shutting off

1. Sounds like your alt is wired to constant power should be keyed.  

Do you have a apple product that can do FaceTime?  It might be easier if I help you that way.  Trying to figure out wiring issues through text is a bitch sometimes :)