What 4 speed is this...

So I am trying to figure out what non stock 4 speed the p/o put into my car. I spoke to skib at Canby and mentioned that it seemed to be a longer transmission, Skib thought it might be a Z car 4 speed. I was wondering if anyone could post some pics of the Z car 4 speed and a few other 4 speeds. Id post a pic of mine but my phone no longer connects to my computer, and I have no way of putting my car up so I can actually get underneath for a shot of the transmission. My goal is to put a 5 speed into this thing once I get my brakes done and if this is truly a Z 4 speed then a z 5 speed wouldnt take any more mods to get it to fit.

Here is a pic that I took when I first got the truck (its of the really really scary transmission mounts the P/O made) :(

DSCN0537.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Measure the length from the motor to the tail end.. if about 31 1/2" it could be a 71B made from '74 on.

One thing that identifies the 4 speed is the narrow rectangular cover plate held on with 6 bolts located on the top of the tail just forward of the shifter.

Six mounting bolts and a flat round breather makes it an F4W71B.

CopyofF4W71Bfrom75620001LargeLarge.jpg

Also pull the shift boot off and compare the shift linkage to this picture. The shifter will likely look like one of these chrome ones below with a hole through the shaft with a pin and a 'C' clip holding it on.

shiftersLarge.jpg

OK so I pulled the shifter boot and my trans looks like what you have in your pics. Now if I wanted a 5 speed would the z 5 speed be a direct bolt up swap to my current setup? or would any 5 speed be a plug and play setup assuming I have the z 4speed already?

If the z trans is the one I need what are hte donor cars to look for and whats the transmission number?

If it's 31.5" long then any L series 5 speed will bolt right in. BTW the 620 the 810/Maxima and the 280z/zx use the same 5 speed with minor differences in gearing and overdrive ratios. The three different ratio sets are ...

Wide....... '79 620 and '80 720 2wd.

Middle..... '77-'78 620, '77-'78 280z, '79 280zx, '80-'84 Maxima

Close....... '80-'83 280zx (these have the very tall overdrive 5th gear)

There are no numbers on the transmission that will identify it. What you can do is look at some of the switches used for emissions and some of the tailstock modifications to say what your transmission isn't more than what it is. You can narrow it down usually. BTW, just because someone says it's a zx tranny does not mean that it is. After 30+ years lots of transmissions have been swapped.