timing chain sprocket setting

Giro

allright,l so i just did a head gasket replacement on my 74 620 and im trying putting it back together. i actually did put it back together, but it runs very rough and even if i gas it, it barely runs, and when i let off, it stalls. i put the sprocket that goes on the cam at the #1 setting, i didnt notice they were marked when i took it off, so i don't recall what setting it was in originally. what do the different settings do, and could the fact that i have it on the #1 be my problem?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

allright,l so i just did a head gasket replacement on my 74 620 and im trying putting it back together. i actually did put it back together, but it runs very rough and even if i gas it, it barely runs, and when i let off, it stalls. i put the sprocket that goes on the cam at the #1 setting, i didnt notice they were marked when i took it off, so i don't recall what setting it was in originally. what do the different settings do, and could the fact that i have it on the #1 be my problem?

Yes.

Because the timing chain cover is on the chain links can't be counted and besides the motor has been run so the link relationship has been randomized.

All you can do now is set the crankshaft at TDC compression. Set the timing notch on the rear pulley lip at the O (zero) on the timing scale bolted behind the pulley to the the timing cover. Set it while turning in a clockwise direction. If you overshoot turn back well before the Zero mark and try again. This will assure a tight timing chain and will be more accurate.

Use a flashlight and look through the top hole in the cam sprocket. The back of the sprocket will have a small VEE cut in it. Just above and behind the VEE there will be a small horizontal line etched in the cam thrust plate. It should be directly above and slightly to the LEFT for proper valve timing. If it is to the right by any amount this indicates chain stretch... no problem it was designed to be adjustable.

Block the chain to hold the tensioner, just like you are removing the head. Remove the cam sprocket and rotate to the #2 hole and install on cam. Check that the timing is precisely TDC and check that the etched horizontal line is now just barely to the left of center of the the VEE. If so you are done, if not try the #3 hole. If this does not fix it the chain must be replaced.