Can I swap these parts???

Posted Today, 12:57 PM

Can anyone tell me if it will work 72 lower control arms work on my 78 wagon... Looking at a kit on eBay but not sure if it will fit... Was ginna do those and wilwood brakes but don't know if they will work any help... You can see them in eBay any help would be great.... Sorry I couldn't post pix

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to slam it and want to keep my tires straight...Lol I know the brakes don't mount to them I was just gonna get it all at once... So I looked at those and then I was looking at the coilovers from techno toys... So I can slam it and still have a good ride I don't want air bags either.. Thanks for the help though

Get it all at once? You mean the entire strut/hub/brake assembly? General the 510 is a poor strut swap for the A10 (1978-1981 510). 510 has 11 degree inclination while A10 has 8 degree. Swapping the old parts give you more positive camber, but to make the wheels straight up/down you need less positive camber. Most guys even go further and want negative camber for better handling.

To lower an A10 front, you have several options:

1. Lower the stock spring cup/perch. Just takes a grinder and commerical grade tube clamp

2. Cut the springs with a hacksaw.

3. Remove the stock spring cup and replace with threaded spring perch and small-diameter springs (commonly called coilover springs)

Option #3 will give the worst ride, as coilover springs are very heavy. But it helps cornering, so a lot of guys prefer them.

If you lower it more than 2 inches, then you will want to cut down the strut tube also so you can retain a good ride. Alternatively swap in 280ZX strut/hub assembly which already has a short strut, but you still gotta do the spring mods.

Cool man thanks a lot.... They have a coilover kit for the 510 that comes based off the 280zx struts would those work??? What in your opinion is the better way?? I don't really want to cut things hoping it would bolt in like it says on there site lol

What is your goal? How much do you want to "slam" it? Two inches, six inches? What do you mean "keep my tires straight"? If you heard that lowering messes up the camber, that is not the case if you are only lowering 2 or 3 inches.

It all depends on what exactly you want. Coilover kits generally will work with most Datsun 2" struts. Which is what you already have. It you want a hard ride, get the 175 lb springs. If you want a rock-hard ride, go with stronger springs. If you want a good ride, use stock (about 100 lb) and lower them.

I have coilovers and dislike how it was done, next time I will lower the stock parts. Either way is adjustable.

2-3in is probably the most I wanna drop it and ya I guess I was ill informed thanks for the help I guess what I want is it lowered and a good ride... I'm pretty new at this Datsun stuff.... I guess I will look for the kit your talking about and use the stock stuff...

Ground Control is used by many. It's not a premium kit, kind of middling quality (at least the one i saw about 5 years ago).

But you don't need a kit "for" a datsun 210. All you need is a 2" strut coilover kit. Buy it from anywhere that sells coilovers.

How far down are you going ?? If you notice the springs on a 78-79 are smaller in diameter than earlier cars and if you dont go wild on the off set the spring perches will go down beside tire ..On my sons the tires in the front are 14 X 7 minilites with 185x60x14 tires and the perch doesn`t hit tire. Best i could do picture wise from awhile ago..Since car is only home to eat and sleep ..now.

522003.jpg

522002.jpg

Well these are the rims I was looking at but I was told I can only go as far as +22 off set so don't know if they will work... http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w493/datsun253/6be78133.jpg

Size: 15"x 6.5"

Offset: +38mm

Bolt Pattern: Universal 4x100 / 4x114.3

Finished: Matte White

Center Bore: 67.1mm

I guess I only wanna go down 2" at most... But now don't know maybe just get the rims and leave the ride height alone...

The pictures i posted are more than a 2 inch drop more like 3" , the collars you see at the bottom are actually resting on the brakeline flange/bracket that is welded to strut and one coil cut out.,, I think you could drop the back 3" if you use 2 inch blocks and take out the smallest leaf ,,it`s about a foot long...We dropped the back about 3" but he started talking about hauling fat ass friends around ( JRocks little buddy Mitchell..lol )and so we put leaf back in and just went with 2" blocks only. To keep the redneck squat to a minimum.

yes, that's the good thing about high offset, you can also use spacers.

Those are only 2" wider than stock. I bet you have way more than 1" space on each side of the wheel now. The +38 just might work fine. Measure the clearance of what you got now.

Then the more important question is, which tires will you fit. Even if the wheel fits, the tires might rub.