RL411 wagon in Delaware?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ratsun forum members! I just signed up since this site simply rocks. Fisch, your artwork is sick. Hat is off to you. I bought the '67 411 wagon in Dover. This was a great find! Straight, solid and SSS! So cool. I haven't started working on it yet, but im scrambling to finish up my current house projects so i can. I'll get some pics posted up ASAP.

Thanks. I'm not sure of the differences ,but from the research I've done I think the SS has the J13 engine with dual hitachi carbs. I don't believe it was sold in the US badged as a SS though. The SSS has front disc brakes and the r16 roadster engine with dual SU carbs. I wish I could find more info on my wagon. I'm curious if the cam grind or trans/ diff gearing is different than the roadster.

Pretty sure the cam is the same becuase claimed horse power is the same as the roadster. The wagon is supposed to have a 4.11 rear end. The 1600 roadster and RL411 sedan have 3.89s and the 2000 roadster has a 3.70. If you want lower rpms at freeway speeds, a swap to a 3.89 or 3.70 is possible. I could supply either one.

Rumor has it that the RL411 4 speed transmission is a close ratio version of the roadster 4 speed, but I've never been able to confirm that. maybe somebody on Rastun can. the roadster 4 speed ratios are:

1st 3.382

2nd 2.013

3rd 1.312

4th 1.000

Not sure what the 411 ratios are, but if you find out, let me know.

Ah, good point on the claimed hp. So far the transmission seems fine so hopefully I wont be taking it apart an confirming the ratios that way. That makes sense the diff would be geared higher. It's nice to know someone kinda local that has extra Datsun parts. It seems the Roadster and the 411 share a lot of the same parts. I'm hoping that is gonna save me when I need something. So far I know the radiator leaks ( the tube of radiator leak puddy on the floor of the car was a dead giveaway.) and I'd like to see if new suspension bushings and motor mounts would take some of the rattling and engine noise out of the car. It's loud as hell in the car when I drove it around the block!

The early Datsun wagons all seem to have a higher numeric rear end gear ratio than their sedan counter parts. Some 411 unique parts can be hard to find, but engine and transmission parts are available at most of the big roadster houses out west.

For the last 15 years I've crewed for a roadster race team. The race barn has leftovers from 25+ years of aquiring parts cars. They stopped racing at the end of last year so most of the parts are avaiable. And since the race cars used 4.38 and 4.65 rear ends, there are plenty of 3.89 and 3.70s left over. And stock 4 speeds if you ever need another one.

Motor mounts are very different from the roadsters. Radiators can be repaired or I can get info on where we got some 3 core aluminum radiators for the roadsters. Or you could just send the car to Ohio and I'll take care of all those issues! (:-)

her is a lil info for both of you guys. the us never saw a "ss" 411. its was a 65-66 production with a j13 and a single su and a dual su's in 66. and all j13 us cars had a standard nikki carb. we only got the sss in 67 with the r16 and dual su's. the roadster rannys that you mentioned wont work on a 411. they are too long. i did a hybrid setup on mine from a roadster front half and a 510 rear half that makes a proper length trans. there's a how to on it.

I test drove an SSS back in 1987, always wondered would it would have been like had I bought it. It was a wagon. I liked the engine, but remember the body-on-frame construction wasn't too exciting. So I bought a 510 wagon instead. The engine wasn't as much fun as the SSS engine. But it was bulletproof.

The 411 transmission had regular and OPTION but both were different from the roadster R16 transmission.

I test drove an SSS back in 1987, always wondered would it would have been like had I bought it. It was a wagon. I liked the engine, but remember the body-on-frame construction wasn't too exciting. So I bought a 510 wagon instead. The engine wasn't as much fun as the SSS engine. But it was bulletproof.

The 411 transmission had regular and OPTION but both were different from the roadster R16 transmission.

411s do not have a body on frame setup. they are unibody just like the 510 wagon. front k memeber with suspension attached and leaf mounted solid read.

from what i remember they were 4.11, 4.38, 4.6x. 4.11 was manuals opt4.38. auto was 4.38 opt. 4.6x

dont quote me but its something like that

so i pulled 2 axles apart last night, one on monday, and one a few months ago. heres what ive found personally to be true.

j13 cars have had a h145 with 4.11 gears and aluminum canter sections

r16 (sss) cars have an h190 with 3.89 gears and a steel center.

510 wagon has a 3.89 with an aluminum center section.

all 3 had the same spline count.

i also have axles from a slope nose 200sx with the disk brakes. they are the same spline too but from an h150.

411 axles are by far the beefiest as they dont neck down till at the splines. 510s are next but have a double step down so part of it is thinner than the 411s. and 200sx have the longest thin section on the shafts making them the weakest.

411 shafts are 22.5 inches

510 wagon are 23.5 inches

200sx are about 25 inches

also the brakes from a 200sx will fit a 510 or 411 housing if you have them swapped to the proper length axles or cut and resplined

So does that mean the 1967 411 is the only Datsun to ever be sold in the US with the SSS trim package?

i could be wrong but i thought you could get a 510 sss here but it was just badging. no difference in the motor?