z24 after market tach install

bryant2482

hey guys i just picked up a tachometer from autozone yesterday and i need to know what coil to splice into and how would i determine which one is which?

and i also forgot to mention that the "red" wire needs to be hooked up as well to one going to the fuse box. what a good one to tap into?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't matter which coil you use but I would use the exhaust side one and here's why... The intake side is powered directly from the ignition key. The exhaust side is powered through a fuse in the fuse box. 720 owners have accidentally blown this fuse and the motor will continue to run on the intake side only, but will not run well. If you connect the tach to the exhaust side coil and it stops working this would be a good indication the fuse has blown.

Connect the red wire to anything that is switched ON by the key... which would be the first 5 fuses on the left (or rear most) side of the fuse box. The third on over to the right (15 amp) is for the rear defogger. If you don't have this option and there is no fuse just put one in.

• 1 year later...

there will be a plug behind where the stock tach is... look at the wire colors on that bad boy, you'll get an idea.

I don't have a diagram in front of me...   Wiring in a tach is super easy.  You need a ground, keyed power, you have a light wire for the tach light, and then the feed wire (that goes to the ground on one of the coils).

Bingo....  Finding keyed power to a wire is easy as shit.. There's tons of stuff you could tap into.  Hell if you want you could tap into the choke wire, it only comes on when the key is...