72 521 question regarding the steering wheel

no horn and my turn work but wont release after the turn .

popped the wheel and cleaned the hell out of everything with electrical parts cleaner, sanded contact points and then applied contact grease.

put everything back together........nadda damn thing changed

closer look revealed that the wheel didnt seem to seat far enough in

my steering pins were not touching the release mechanism in the shaft

that brass looking metal strip that connects the horn circuit from the steering wheel to the car was also not touching

every looks to be correct for a 72 521 (the horn is a push in counter clockwise turn to realease with 3 plastic tabs holding a ring)

single 22 mil nut holds the wheel to the spline

i took the whole thing apart an put it together again 3 times looking at internet diagrams and inspecting for wrong or lost pieces

but everything seems to be in place this is just how my wheel sits these days

i ended up bending that brass tab out a bit to contact the back of the steering wheel again and now my horn works like a charm however my turn signal indicators still wont release after a turn.

anybody have similar issues? are the guts of my steering wheel slowly puking into my lap? and that is why my wheel isnt seating down all the way. could it be off another model even though i have to pull the horn strip just like a 521 wheel?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

take the plastic cover off and check the position of the blinker switch. There's a small screw that registers the assembly position. I don't remember if it's slotted, so it may have some adjustment or just be missing. The assembly is held to the column by two screws and half moon clamp. It could be that your wheel is on the column correctly, but the blinker assy is too far away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Damn I always thought the blinkers didn't switch off on their own! I gave up with my horn and just moved that wire to a toggle switch that went to ground. I will have to take a gander today at this screw you are talking about mklotz70.

Anymore details on what you did haze? You loosened the two screws holding the half moon clamp to the column and moved the turn sig. assembly up towards the steering wheel? Is it suppose to engage something? Is "it" aka the slotted screw mklotz speaks of?

I guess I should pop squat and just look at it huh? :thumbup:

Glad I read this, thanks folks!