Voltage at Coil

Hi,

So i have been having issues with my 210 ever since I bought it, yesterday I was doing some digging and while I was testing the coil I noticed a rather large number 2000 rpm. I'm using a good multi meter and connected it to the positive on the coil and the negative on the battery, at idle I was getting 19-24 volts, as i reved it the voltage went up the most I saw was 44V at about 2000rpm. I disconnected the + on the coil and ran power straight from the battery to the coil and voltage stayed at alternator current when reving after the jumper was put in.

Any one have any ideas?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coil + terminal voltage at idle

* Normally connected: 19+ volts

* Engine harnes disconnected from coil, coil + jumped to battery +: 14 volt

Is that correct? The voltage regulator is correct if it is around 14 volts with engine running.

With engine running, check the voltage across the Alternator BAT and E terminals. It should be around 14 volts, exactly same as voltage across the battery terminals.

Thats corret ggzilla.

Its a 1980 210 A14 EI distributor, I belive its an external regulator. Is the regulator under the plastic cover on the passanger side of the engine compartment next to the washer tank?

thanks ggzilla once again for helping me out on sunday. First time meeting him he put my distributor in his awesome truck and took me for a drive for like 20 minutes to check to see if my distriubtor was functioning fine. Nice to know there is still helpful people in this world of idiots.