r200 in 240z

i have a few questions on a swap i am planning on duing with a r200 in a 240z. i know that i need the mustache bar, rear trans mount, and front diff mount. but what are the benefits of swaping or diadvantages of swaping. ive heard bottoming out and stuff like that. are all r200 lsd? thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most are open ...

Benefits are gear ratios mostly ... strength ( a bit more) if needed

I run 2 r200's ( open) in both my 73 240z's ...

R200 and r180 more likely will have bad pinion bearings if anything is bad ( with normal wear) ... and shitty spider gears if abused ...

I have not had bottoming out issues with either r200 ... tokico springs/struts in one ... eibach springs/kyb struts in other ...r180 halfshafts in one ... and r200 halfshafts in the other

I believe "un-shortened" tripod zx axles are the ones thought to have more binding issues in s30's ... i have not installed or tried ... just read about it.

Burning out / clutch dumping / power shifting ... etc is all hard on most diffs.

P.s front cross member isnt neccessary on the swap ... but ... the 280z front cross member is thicker metal and provisioned for a larger exhaust than the 240z one. Rear "trans-verse" oink as you call it ... is only neccessary to swtlitch out on 71 and earlier models BUT again the 280z version is beefier ...for a budget swap easiest way to tell if you need one is if there is a "curve" or "straight" one ... if there is a curved one it will work! 280z one works best as i believe its thicker

87-89 300zx turbos contain the highly sought after "lsd long nosed r200" ... but ... good luck finding one under $500 ... and expect $750+ figures for used one for sale.

Subaru lsd r160's are used in 240z's as well ...

If you're a bookworm ...Hybridz has ALL the swap info you wish and some ... be really careful and read the intro and posting rulee ... 3-times ... doesnt take anything to get a warning ... search search search ... they have covered it all! Twice! Lolz.

R180's work great ... just very limited gear ratios ... comparitively

Lsd has huge advantages ... but if you dont know the advantages ... or simply don't require or use them ... then there is no benefit and just actual "loss" sll the way around ...

When an l24/l26 is perfectly tuned/right size tires ... 3.36 diff is hard to beat ... but i prefer 3.54 cruiser ratio ...and 3.90 for the curvy/in-town ;)