Noob with questions. Please help!

Ok so here is the deal I have a 78 kc 620, it originally had a L20b with a 5 speed trans. But I picked it up minus motor and trans.

I also have a 80 720 that has a L20b and 5 speed trans. Only problem is the motor is no good. My plan was to take the motor and trans and put them in the 620.

Would this be a direct swap between the 2 trucks? Also I am having issues finding a running L20b for my build, but I have found a remanufactured L18 for very cheap in my area will all of the parts from the 80 720 work on the L18 so I can have a running truck?

Also are there other motors that will bolt up to my 5 speed trans out of the 80 720? Because I found a 2.0z motor that suposibly in running condition.

I have intensions of doing a cool motor swap down the road. But I would like available options as far as simple solutions to getting the truck on the road for now, without breaking the bank.

The truck is bagged and body droped to the rockers, so I am also working on limited space. But at this point the whole firewall is out, and I will need to cut the trans tunnle for clearance.

Anybody's input would be greatly appreciated I have used the search button but I do feel that my questions are slightly unique and I have had no luck finding the information that I am asking for.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have a 80 720 that has a L20b and 5 speed trans. Only problem is the motor is no good. My plan was to take the motor and trans and put them in the 620.

Would this be a direct swap between the 2 trucks?

yes - all L motors are interchangeable from what i know

I have found a remanufactured L18 for very cheap in my area will all of the parts from the 80 720 work on the L18 so I can have a running truck?

most parts will swap, im sure there are some small snags that in not remembering ATM

So you have a '78 but without motor and transmission.

You have an '80 transmission and a no good motor

You can get either an L18 or another L20B motor for it.

I would get the L20B as everything needed can be taken of the no good L20B in the '80 truck.

The L18 will work if it already has a flywheel and clutch. The L20B flywheel won't fit the L18.