Stuck in Third Gear like Excalibur...

For my next stupid issue...

Went to the MSA show yesterday, wound up driving back using only third gear. Sorry if you were stuck behind me. I had to downshift from third to second, and that's when it got stuck.

Clutch hydraulics all operate fine, disengages properly, but whether the car is off or on, the lever won't budge. The stick looks to be oriented more in the neutral position, but the car is in third.

Full disclosure: this transmission was rebuilt in 2009, ever since that point it had a really notchy third gear engagement that forced you to make a really square movement or else get stuck. I never really cared, so I never got it fixed.

So I'm thinking I need to get me a new five speed. But not before I call the shop that rebuilt this thing... Gearbox is a stock 75 280z four speed.

In the meantime, does anyone know of any means by which I may unstick the gearbox quickly and easily, or is this not going to happen?

Man. I've got to go longer than a week between stupid issues.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike is right, once perma-engage happens it is stuck. Nothing short of a teardown is going to fix it.

Now having said that, I have disengaged a stuck 63 series dogleg in my Datsun 1200 racecar, during a race. I was able to get it out but not without some extreme effort on the shift lever.

My buddy claims I use the "Force of Zeus" when I shift.