'80 210 Daily Driver

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So, the spark plug i had troubles with previously (was not gapped at all) started acting up again, apon inspection i noticed that the gap had all but dissapeared again! but this took like a month and maybe 1000 miles to happen again. was thinking maybe carbon build-up would hit it but am really just making guesses. if it helps for diagonisis purposes, it happened on the freeway after around half an hour of driving and at least the plug that needed regapping was not one of the accepted plugs listed in the manual (was thinking that this probably has alot to do with the problem but should have happened the first time i fired it up after gapping it). i will be replacing all plugs as soon as i get home on sunday evening.

does anyone know why this would happen in an a-14?

I dunno if it's the original engine or not... Also the printed text on a few of my tags has worn away through the years. Thank you for the heads up.

The new plugs are now in, also have new plug wires. But funny story, after poking around in the engine bay on Saturday she was running fine and on Sunday after sitting for a day, she would not idle... Just died out after firing up but would run with some extra gas... After beating myself over the head for about an hour and a half under the hood. I could distinctly hear a new noise that I finally traced to a vacuum leak on the hose that connects the air cleaner to the intake... After putting on a non-wire style hose clamp and cutting off the affected portion of hose, she runs like a champ.

I will eventually put a new hose on but i'm thinking that this will do for a week or so.

never did actually get one purchased but i have had two people try to get me to buy a bunch of stuff i dont need just to get the BPT. Not really something i can budget at this point. Thanks for the pics gg. The spark plugs i picked up were the recommended standard tip plugs from NGK (BPR5ES-11).

On my way into work today, I had some momentary issues with the throttle lagging in the high end of second and all of third and fourth (also died during idle). looked under the hood and the fuel filter was at a pretty low level... It feels like it has been too long since i have made a noticeable improvement under the hood, so i am replacing the old looking pump. I will also be looking into clearing out the lines from the tank. After a couple miles, the issues cleared up on the way into work... we will see how the drive home goes.

DO NOT BLOW AIR INTO THE CARB! You can blow air throught the fuel lines, but if you blow air into the carb (seen it done, done it my self) you will run the float level and possibly other internals.

thanks for the heads up, wasn't planning on it. I wanted to put a rag of some sorts on the other end of the line to see if i could catch anything that comes out.

Test your fuel pump. Mine is 40 years old and still working good. See http://datsun1200.co...p_pressure_test

I have been slowly working at replacing all the parts that seem old and worn, just preemptive measures against getting stuck on the side of the road. But i will definitely be holding on to the old one, in case i need it in the future. Thanks for the link

on the way home i think i pinpointed my recent issues to a blockage in the air vent from the bowl on the smaller side. when i got home and she stated acting up again i got under the hood, while running I poked down the bowl vent with a paperclip to try and dislodge or remove any obstruction, which worked momentarily. In my novice-ness, i poked again and pressed the float down until gas came up and out the vents and down into the carb. which stopped the engine. Im thinking that the obstruction has either gone back down into the bowl (not a problem, right now) or it has come out of the bowl vent (problem fixed). Shes running fine now, got all the way to work with no problems which is more than i can say for yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran some Seafoam through the gas and i think i just delayed my problem... whatever it is.

But, i just got a tach and put it in over the weekend, could have picked a better time and avoided the 100+ degrees outside. Super stoked to have it on.

fa229e6d.jpg

4d673b2a.jpg

punched a hole through one of the provided ports on the dash, the one next to the dimmer switch.