521 sighting in mex!!

sdsurf

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, DJ. I have been trying for YEARS to put together a Mexican junkyard weekend trip. Mark has expressed interest in going. Now... there are STRENGTH in numbers so My plan was if at least 3 or 4 people could go, if We scouted out a lot of area one weekend (READ, more fourdoor trucks, etc.) and then came back with either a U-Haul or Penske (if they can even be taken into Mexico) rental truck it could be loaded to the brim with cabs, parts and such. With 3 or 4 of Us trying to cross the border back into the U.S., We would be less likely to be hassled about bringing parts across. Once again I will ask: are there a few of Us here willing to commit to a weekend Mexico trip? I will definately do it if a few of You commit. My idea about the rental truck is that if it WERE loaded to the brim, that the authoritys would NOT want Us to unload it right there to get the truck back across. Maybe they would just "wave Us through". Our "treasures" would then be granted safe access into the U.S.!!!

sounds like a good idea. your problems with taking a u-haul or a trailer wont be with trying to cross back into the US, in fact, if they do search anything its no big deal. Your problems will be driving around in Mexico. If you have to drive through any of the toll roads, they are guarded with federal police looking for drug traffickers. i can guarantee any and all trailers passing through get hassled, especially if youre trailering around car parts. In fact, police may decide to pull you over and search EVERYTHING while youre on the side of the road. its unfortunate... but there is literally a war goin on down there between the police and the drug dealers (gunfights with automatic weapons near schools, urban warfare type of stuff). i had a chance to talk with some police officers down in Tijuana, who explained to me what was goin on and all had some very scared faces like they were goin to war. So just giving you all heads up in case you do go. i probably wont be able to go down for a trip like that in the near future, usually head down to the airport just to pick up relatives, so im only there a few hours at a time.

and if you do get pulled over, dont be scared. my experiences with the police down in mexico are the same as in the united states. Dont try to bribe them, its illegal there too. If they have to take you back to the police station for whatever reason (usually not an issue, but can happen) ask the officer if you can just pay him any taxes/fines. that is technically OK (not considered a bribe) and will save you lots of time.

sorry about the long rant. just giving some advice from my own experiences. Most likely you will get no trouble on either side of the border. if a date is decided on let me know. im currently job hunting and looking to buy a home, so money will be tight for a while, but should i end up down that way ill do my best to scout some yards and report back!

Hi D J. Well, with as much as We all have going on this summer, I would suggest a trip around the end of the year, or Fall sometime. In October We all should be getting ready for JCCS, which this year is in Irvine. Maybe a day or so BEFORE that weekend or after on a couple of weekdays might work. I think that more Northwest folks might be coming to JCCS. If they are making it a vacation, possibly a few days could be added or they could fly down and join in on the "trek". Just an idea, but this would give Us time (6 months) to plan ahead. Thanks for the "authoritys" suggestion. I have never done anything like I am suggesting so advice and input are appreciated. But surely there MUST be some good finds down there.

I would agree with DJ on the authorities although the bribe part is a little incorrect. I frequently travel back and forth to Rosarito and beyond to go surfing. The idea is to have two wallets or at least stash the main cash somewhere else. Keep a 20 in the wallet with i.d. and that is the "fine". If you want to protest ask to go to the station with him. I have seen it numerous times where the cop will say ok, start following you to the station and just disappear because he knows it is bogus.

As far as the drug war goes, it is in full affect. After the Arellano-Felix cartel got shut down, all of the smaller cartels started a major turf war. They are killing cops, harrassing tourists and making it a living hell. Even the deputy chief in Tecate fooled them at his own house by making it look like there was an army of cops when his home was invaded. Turns out he kept moving around enough to make it look this way but he was the only one.

As far as traveling I would'nt suggest a U-Haul for a couple of reasons. A) I don't think there is an American rental place that exists who would let you travel to Mexico. B) Can't look more "American" and thus be a bigger target then in U-Haul with Ohio plates...

My thoughts

Id be more than willing to go down & hit up a few yards sometime soon. We'd have to know where the yards were 1st before heading down there. I doubt customs would harass or question what were bringing across as long as it wasnt a bed full of parts. IMO i wouldnt wanna go past TJ, i dont think there woudl be many [if any] yards there. +, TJ is a big city & would take all day to hit up a few places & eat taco's...:D