leaky intake freeze plug thing, IT RUNS!!!

ok, kiz, 4th thread, i know. i have to leave for drill by 4 today cause i cannot drive at night, so time is of the essence. i got the intake on, i replaced the gasket, i replaced all the hoses. i cranked it, it ran, it ran better after a few seconds, then i went to hand plug the pcv valve hole cause i didn't hook it up yet, and there was water SHOOTING out from god knows where. i turned it off and there are 2 SMALL threaded holes on the bottom that were leaking. so i covered them with my fingers and it still leaked from the freeze plug thing. freeze plug looks BRAND new though. what do you recommend? do i just tap it in more and then put screws in it? was the lack of screws what let it shift and leak?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try tappin it in a bit more, if that doesn't work replace it. Knock one side in with a screwdriver and pull it out with a set of pliers.

Not sure how you would screws in it, but if you can think of a way...don't.

They are call freeze plugs for a reason. When someone runs water as coolant (which is a bad idea to begin with, because rust is bad inside a motor) and the temp drops below 32 degress F, the water freezes to ice, expands and pushes out the freeze plug.

This saves the block from cracking and costing you a lot more money and time than a $1 freeze plug and a whack with a mallet.

ok, new freeze plug later, all is good. it was a 3/4 inch copper butt plug (hehe) for plumbing and it didn't even fit well. so the new one went in extra far to cover the holes. they are not the same height or angle, so whoever had it last drilled and tapped them and did a shitty job. im going to have to find screws to fill the holes next time i have it off and grind them flush on the inside :(

just zip tied the throttle cable for now, works pretty good. pcv wasn't hooked up when i bought it i found out, so thats fixed. runs a little "off" but im sure after the 3 hour drive to drill, it will settle itself in, lol. more pics and stuff tonight. thanks redeye, i wouldn't have removed the copper and got it running if it weren't for you.