wanted Z22 crankshaft

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several ways to do this.

If you have a good running Z22 just put the L20B head, timing cover & chain, oil pan, dizzy and the metal brackets that go between the block and the rubber mounts. Optional... move the Z22 dipstick from the driver's side to beside the starter. Or check oil when the motor is cold. Compression will be 9.84 with an open chamber head.

If you have a Z22 crank with the rods and pistons attached and an L20B block just bore the cylinders out to match the Z22's 87mm piston size. Install the crank and the pistons and rods.... nothing else needed. Same compression as above.

If all you have is the Z22 crank and pistons you can use your L20B rods and every thing is the same as above. Same compression as above.

Well roughly a 10% increase in displacement so ... 10% at least. Nicer low mid torque, so it will feel like more at the speeds you drive 99.9% of the time. Each point of compression increases the efficiency and nets roughly a 4% increase in power so 8.5 to 9.8 is about 1.5 x 4% or 6% of say 110hp makes it 116hp. This is conservative.

• 1 month later...

Well roughly a 10% increase in displacement so ... 10% at least. Nicer low mid torque, so it will feel like more at the speeds you drive 99.9% of the time. Each point of compression increases the efficiency and nets roughly a 4% increase in power so 8.5 to 9.8 is about 1.5 x 4% or 6% of say 110hp makes it 116hp. This is conservative.

Not to hijack but it's along the same topic:

So I'm running an L16 with 8.5 compression ratio (I think) and I'm digging not having to cough out for premium gas.

I've got an L20B with W58 head that was supposedly rebuilt by the PO but not installed. I'm not sure if the rebuild actually occured or what quality is was done, also the head has been left open to dust & grime. I think I'd rather tear it down and rebuild than risk putting something in the car which might cr@p out in the middle of nowhere etc...

The Z22 crank and pistons in a bored L20B sound great for an LZ22, but what's the resulting compression ratio? ~ mid to high 9? What can I do to get to sub 9 and once again return to regular gas? Is it even worth the cost of crank/pistons/bore to gain that 10% increase?

Thanks!

If you use 87mm stock Z22 pistons your compression will be 9.8 if used with a W-58 head. (assuming it was not milled down) I would install it and see if it was rebuilt or a smoker. If it runs good run with it. An L20B will knock your socks off if you are used to L16 power.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.