Carb advice or recommendation

510antihero

Ok first off my car is running an all factory l20b with a 3 speed automatic. And I'm looking into to replacing the factory Hitachi carb. At first I was looking at the Weber 32/36 dgev carb for it. But then I was thinking maybe it'd be better to get the 38/38 dges for more performance. But I'm not sure if you can even put a 38 weber on it, due to I've never heard of any one else do it. So mainly I'm wanting to get some advice on this.

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38/38 is doable using the same adapter as the 32/36. Plenty of people do it, but not a lot seem to talk about the difference it made over the 32/36. I've considered a 38/38, but it seems to make more sense to me to use some SU's or twin Weber DCOE's

On a stock motor not worth it I think. Even the 32/34 is slightly big but it's a progressive carb where the secondary only opens when needed making it an excellent carb for around town driving and power when you need it.The 38/38 opens both all the time so hard to 'drive' it around and only feels right at higher speeds. The 38/38 is really a V6 and small V8 carb and works best on a very modified L motor.... and if doing that, most people switch to multiple side drafts.

Alright thanks. So to be clear my car is my daily driver so I don't need something too insane. I'm just looking to give this car more get up and go performance. But basically the 38 is too much carb for city stop and go traffic. But what is the size of the factory Hitachi carb? And do you think there will be a noticeable difference with the Weber? Also what about Holly carbs? I've heard these can be better than the weber.

But what is the size of the factory Hitachi carb? And do you think there will be a noticeable difference with the Weber?

I believe the L20B Hitachi is 30/34mm

There should be noticeable improvement. Best to get a proper replacement carb from Weber. It has everything needed including the adapter and air filter and will be properly jetted for a 2 liter motor. Yes you can get well used junkers for a lot less but what's it jetted for L16?, has it been rebuilt 5 times by friends and missing parts?, cracked adapter?, leaking gaskets, stuck floats?.....

I just put the weber 32/36 on my A series engine, and its very good. I would totally recommend getting a ready made kit specifically for the L20. Its a very simple and easy to tune carb. From past experience,, I consider weber carbs to be very reliable as well.

I would recommend going over to redline weber dot com and reviewing what all is included with an L20 specific carb upgrade kit. Might be an adapter plate needed to mount to the datsun manifold,, might be also a linkage kit..possibly more. Just be sure what ever you buy is designed for the specific make of engine. Probably any 32/36 would work but the ready made specific kits reduce the head ache and set up hassles.

I got mine off ebay,, and had a choice of electric choke, water choke, manual choke, no choke. Paid 324.00 for it, probably not the best price in the world,, but I do not regret getting an A series specific kit. It was almost too easy to get tuned up and working great!