U20 eye candy 4 the oics whores

docbainey

Helpn a friend get his Mikunis workin on his street 2000

100_1727.jpg

100_1728.jpg

Lookin at a race prepped block, oiling mods, cross drilled crank, forged flat tops, ARP, spray bar, solex cam, elec dizzy, and a bunch of other stuff that I don't feel like typing.

Should have it on the street this weekend

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't expect any thing more then the factory rated hp of 150. 90% of the mods are to keep the thing runnin for along time.The U20 revs like no tomorrow, way over square. It's just that the motor self destructs.

We regularly ran our DP 2000 to 9k rpm, 95 or so at Mid Ohio.

Of course nothing goes smooth. Had an intial problem with pilot screws on one carb gaulling (these are used carbs that my buddy paid a pretty penny to have them rebuilt by what is now not a very reputable datsun racing entity.). Try and find a 5mm X 0.5mm tap & die on a late sat morning! Anyways, overcame the pilot screw problem to get her fired, what a real honker!!! I wanted to burn rubber up the driveway, but the car is not mine. Tried to convince my friend to burn rubber, I had his brother egging him on also but to no avail!, car hasn't moved for a year!!!

The sound of those carbs & that U motor with a 7500 red line, it just begs for abuse!

100_1772.jpg

100_1773.jpg

100_1774.jpg

After doing the countless tuning crap, couldn't get the car to idle smooth (1000rpm). The rough idle clears up around 2500. I think this thing will be a real terror over 3k as is but it's f'ed up. Something is jacked up with plugs/dizzy (used plugs) or the idle circuit in the back carb. Plugs looked like shit.

4 black

3 good

2 not as black as 4

1 not as black as 4

Listened to the trumpets, 1 & 2 sound the same, 3 has a thud in it (proably when the plugs firing, it had a clen plug) and 4 sounds like it's tryn to suck way to hard.

and of course ran out of time

Moving forward

Plan is to get new plugs

do a compression check (car ran fine with SUs)

Remove the jet blocks, check fuel height and all the jets, these carbs being rebuilt by a 3rd party? who knows? After all, the pilot screws where jacked up on the one carb?

Actually #1 has the most room. This is how these cars came from the factory with the solex option. There is about 3" of room from the air horns to the inner fender panel.

This is basically how it would have looked coming from Datsun

DSC00921-400x300.jpg