steering damper systems, oem vs aftermarket

just picked up a 78 620 with what appears to be a factory steering damper under the front end. My question is can I take the oem system and put it on my 77? Rock auto has new damper kits for 40$ are they worht a hoot? My truck has all new steering compnents and has been aligned but at high speeds it tends to wander around a bit. I am trying to prevent this problem.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a vehicle it resists sudden side to side motion or shimmy. Especially good off road where wheels will transmit motion back to the steering wheel when hitting objects.

I'm not aware there is one on the 620. May have been added by previous owner.

it prevents vibrations from being transmitted to the driver, It prevents wheel "shimmy", and hoefully in my case it will prevent wheel wandering at high speeds. I think about it like this. Whne your riding on a quad (4 wheeler) and you hit a rut or a root or something, the handlebars will kick back into you. The damper provides a resistance to this but wtill allows the linkage to turn. Its basically a shock absorber for your steering. I have never usd one on a 620 so I am curious how it will affect the steering rebound at high speeds. My front end is all brand new so the only thing I can think thats causing the left right wander is the lack of a damper. Most cars with power steering are damperd and you never notice it.

On a vehicle it resists sudden side to side motion or shimmy. Especially good off road where wheels will transmit motion back to the steering wheel when hitting objects.

I'm not aware there is one on the 620. May have been added by previous owner.

In the rock auto catalog it lists a damper for non oem damper equipped vehicles, I was assuming because it listed for that application that there was a oem application to differentiate from it.

My front end is all brand new so the only thing I can think thats causing the left right wander is the lack of a damper.

Alignment.... either it needs one, the one that was done was bad or it's gone out of aliment since.

Swap the front and rear tires... see if it's the tires.

Alignment.... either it needs one, the one that was done was bad or it's gone out of aliment since.

Swap the front and rear tires... see if it's the tires.

Already rotated the tires, I was with the guy when he aligned it, It was well within spec. I went ahead and bought the damper kit.

having done many alignments and used a couple different alignment racks they are only as good as the last time they were calibrated. its worth having it rechecked, any wander/drift/fade especially if it changes side isn't common unless you have low profile tires and the vehicle is tramlining