Conversion ?'s

So i have my 620 longbed pickup that i have had for awhile now runs great never has let me down and all. But this whole time i have hade it i have been wanting to convert it over to four wheel drive and i was wondering what the hell to do if anyone on this forum had done that befor. My friend is getting this 1980 toyota pickup for a parts truck and i was wondering if it would be possible to convert my truck over. By taking his axels and crap or not or would it be easier to just use a 720 datsun and covert its axels over because i know where one of those sit also that i could get for cheep so any help would give me a great deal thanks cody.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when these trucks were new some were converted by various companies before they were sold. I have a couple of these and have seen many more. Most used a Jeep front axle (a Dana 30) with a Dana 20 T-case and purpose-built adapters. The most involved part was welding the spring perches, considering that the Datsun frame isn't the same width in front of the axle as behind, and installing mounts for the transfer case. In fact, the only reason my '76 longbed 4X4 isn't a 4X4 anymore is because the transfer case was removed and I have no way to recreate the mounts for it (since I do not weld) even though I have most of what it requires as far as parts go.

I've also seen 4X4 Datsuns created using Toyota axles, but the Datsun drivetrain and a Dana 20 T-case.

I know Datzenmike "created" a 4X4 620, but in reality what he has is a 720 with the 620 sheet metal. However, his also has been converted with a solid front axle. All 720 factory 4X4s had Independant front suspension, and the 4X4 equipment wasn't that sturdy (it's a R160 differential being turned the wrong way in at least the early ones).

Created is right. It's an '82 2wd long bed 720 frame with '78 KC on it. Early '80s Toyota solid front axle, '80 720 transfer case, '84 driveshaft (rear) F-150 leaf springs front and back. Long bed gas tank, 4" body lift. I made all my own spring and transfer case mounts including moving the rear spring perches on top of the axle and designed a cross steering with power assist.

The toyota uses an integral trans/transfer case so your motor won't mount up to it. The 720s use a separate trans case so any motor can be put in front of it.

I would find a 720 4X4 with blown motor and put your body on it and your motor in it. Later you could do a SAS.