alcohol injection on su carbs advice

sam

So I have a sssl16 and my buddy told me I should make alcohol spray injection needle to the carbs so when I'm in full throttle it sprays it in the carbs from the air horns and I can get that extra " kick or boost "lol I never done it and I wanted to know from the experience people that have done this before, also I wanted to know cons and pros. I tried looking for info on Google but all I found was for fuel injection stuff and Turbo carbs that if you tune it and run out of alcohol your basically screwed so idk if this falls in the same catagory as my setup which I don't think so because I'm just using it as a extra kick when I Autocross.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not seen it on SUs but have on turbo'ed cars. Get a kit from www.coolingmist.com, however, these are based on MAP pressure not vacuum. You would probably need to rig something up to get it to spray when you wanted it too.

I was watching one of the HP shows the other week where there took an ethanol/ water kit and threw it on a turbo'd V8 and did nothing else. I think it jumped 45hp just because it was cooling the intake down. Was kinda cool.

I've been searching for kits on CL local and see them from time to time.

You should be able to reduce detonation if you have any and or increase your timing. Unless your intake temps are really high as is, then there may not be much of gain by adding without bumping your timing up.

Not needed on properly tuned SUs as they are rich enough (or should be) at WOT. Water/alcohol injection is used on turbo motors or very high compression motors as a way to reduce cylinder temps to prevent detonation. In effect it's like running extra octane on demand. Water/alcohol also absorbs heat by evaporation which cools the intake charge making it denser.

Never heard of a power increase from this but it will allow more advance timing safely. Too much and it will over cool the combustion chamber and heat energy normally used to expand the air in the cylinder and push the piston down will be lost.