a little bit of everything

hello to you all

ive been on this forum for a while now and just now decided to join. been in love with datsun ever since that blue 240z with the q45 motor, i think by yuki komiya i believe, started floating around the internet a couple years back. first time hearing the brand datsun then, now i always think about datsuns.

back in january 2010 i decided to buy my first datsun. found it on craigslist for $500

17241_250470322710_570417710_3417845_8068241_n.jpg

1974 datsun 620. apparently its not the prettiest ride. there were a few things wrong wit it like the brakes would just lock up with even the slightest touch on the brakes, the stick would wobble around freely even while in gear, rust everywhere, but i didnt care. as long as it was drivable. things can be fixed with time and money

after owning it for a couple months, one morning it took a while for my baby to start. after a good minute of cranking it finally started, along with a gang of white smoke shooting out the exhaust. i shut the motor off and checked the dip stick and found some good oh milkshake.

i began to taking off the heads. i was surprised how easy it was to get to the heads, unlike modern cars. i took the heads to a machine shop and was told the heads were cracked along the valve area and was impossible to save, which sucks. i was having trouble finding a replacement. i forget if it was an l16 or l18 motor. but i eventually found some on craigslist that happened to be one of them peanut heads. paid $50!! what a deal!!! later on found out those were cracked and also not savable. so for a while my datsun just sat there, having to be pushed back and forth every week to avoid street sweeping.

2739_60845127710_570417710_1680585_277173_n.jpg

1996 240sx paid less than $1000 for this at the auction. owned it about a year before the 620 until one day late 2010 my brother was driving on the freeway, somehow a tire flew towards him from the car next to him. he couldnt avoid it. he ran it over, flew in the air, and landed face first.

62036_433651502710_570417710_5231937_8340398_n.jpg

i still hate my brother for this, but it gave me the idea of shoving the ka24 into the datsun, it was a perfect plan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZm9Pa6_5Mc&context=C4b4f694ADvjVQa1PpcFPuCUgSkpgCNMLQJeLSYD60WhG39XkmpSs=

a little video removing the motor. actually took me like 2-3 hours getting the motor out. the exhaust manifold was being an ass not letting the motor go.as u can see in the video the ka was in the back.

260213_10150203764827711_570417710_7176074_2879196_n.jpg

did a little test fittin. at this point the truck was at my friends house, which was out the way. i had one of those orange stickers on the windshield telling me the car has to move atleast a mile everyday or something or else they will tow it away. so the test fitting picture was actually taken mid... 2011 and stayed in the position with the chains still on for a couple months through the rain and shine. i was able to see lots of corrosion on the valves through the intake/exhaust ports... so this ka24 project is pretty much dead...

but i recently moved to a house with a garage, just moved the 620 in there about 2 month ago. got myself a mig welder so things are about to go down this summer wit my truck. i really debated on what kind of motor to put in. do i go bad ass with v8 power or be a little bitch with good mpg? im actually aiming towards being a little bitch just cus gas is what $4.20 regular around here? i currently have a 1996 impala ss that eats about $90 per fill up so i deserve to be a little bitch right? i also want this thing to be 4x4, really want to take this up to tahoe. my plan is to buy a cheap running 4x4 jeep from the auction and use the parts for the datsun. i would like to have air conditioning, power steering, etc. and later on in the future maybe a diesel motor from a volkswagon. i like the numbers of mpg it can do. thats basically my life story with datsuns and what may come in the future. just waiting for school to end so i can get this project going. sorry if it was too long of a post, i hope u guys enjoyed my rusty 620 life story

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry if it was too long of a post, i hope u guys enjoyed my rusty 620 life story

I think this is a great post (of course I can get long winded myself).

I also have a soft spot for rusty 620s - so your truck looks good to me.

Crazy, isn't it ... I hunt for $4.17 a gallon these days, thinking that's a good price :blink:

thanks for the warm welcoming sedition, i feel right at home.

ktrip, i think i woulda been able to write a book if i let myself go talking about my 620. all my friend and family hates it and my girlfriend believes it belongs in the junkyard. no love what so ever

IMAG0703.jpg

i just took this picture this morning. as u can see i barely have room to work with. im currently building a shed in the back yard so i could clear out most of the stuff

What did you do the S14?

I love those cars.

Welcome, you're doing everything right so far!

The doors couldn't close right, the whole structure to the radiator was pushed into the fan, tie rods snapped off... I took whatever I thought was useful and junked it. Will always miss her...

The doors couldn't close right, the whole structure to the radiator was pushed into the fan, tie rods snapped off... I took whatever I thought was useful and junked it. Will always miss her...

:(

She's helping other S14s right now, she's still alive in other peoples cars.

That's what i like to think