z22

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer ... no. If you use the 720 transmission (assuming it is 31.5" long) and the metal brackets that position the motor on the rubber mounts you ... could get it done. (still have to graft the exhaust pipe, lengthen or use the 720 throttle cable, use the 620 speedo cable. Add a longer top rad hose to reach over to the right side of the Z motor,.

I bolted a z20 block up to my l16 trans. The motor mounts I have appear to have been modified but I'm not sure, and I was able to use the stock throttle cable (I have dual webers), and I used a v1 radiator. The rear trans mount is a bitch though, either make an angled plate to mount it or just wedge it in to place and throw a bolt in it. And you have to bend the shifter shaft

Unless the Z motor is tilted over to the right side by using the L mounts... the transmission must rotate to the left to line up the mounting bolts. This will also rotate the shifter over 20 degrees into the driver's seat. The biggest concern is the rear mount on the transmission. It doesn't just rotate and you use a wedge shape to bolt it down. In fact the tranny will lift up several inches as it flops over on it's side because of the mount shape cast into it. This will affect the U joint angle and may introduce vibration.

620 4 speed left and Z series dogleg on right to demonstrate the relative tilt differences between L and Z series motors or transmissions. As you can see.. if the right tranny were rotated to level the rear mount the would transmission would drop.

F463andNAPSdogleg.jpg