Need your guys opinion

rocko

So Im planning on lowering my 1971 510 2 door soon and I want it lowered 2" in the front and 2" in the rear. I want to the rear to be pretty stiff and for the front I was going to just cut the spring perches and reweld them. My plan was to get spring from this site ---> http://www.daymotorsports.com I was wondering what spring I should go with length, height, and diameter, that would give me a pretty firm and stiff ride while lowering the car 2" in the rear when I cut them...BTW I have KYB replacement shocks in the rear. Also I cant find a write up with pictures for cutting the front strut perches, If someone could post a link that would be great. And yes Ive looked at the suspension sticky on the realm...and Its not that helpful without pictures. Thanks for all the help.:D

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And yes Ive looked at the suspension sticky on the realm....

have your tried the one here? or gone to google and searched there? a questions followed by the word ratsun on Google will work wonders :D

and Its not that helpful without pictures

speaking of, where are the pic's of your car :P

Rear springs are 3" ID.... not the easiest thing to find, especially in the spring rate we need for decently stiff springs.

We need a little more information too.... what you want to use the car for, etc.

Also you're not really going to get a solid answer. Some people say so and so is pretty stiff.. other people say that same setup is really soft, and recommend much stiffer springs. It's all personal preference and you will need to pretty much experiment and figure out what YOU like the best.

I'm not sure what size 510 springs are up front since I run 280ZX struts with coilovers...

As for spring rates, I personally am running 275 lb springs up front, and 1140 lb springs in the rear. Due to the control arm leverage, the rears come out to about 300 lb wheel rate. But I do AutoX and track the car, so I need a stiff setup. I actually find this spring setup very tolerable on the street. Even my dad with a bad back can ride in and drive my 510 all day long.

I can't find one of Datzenmike's posts on lowering a 510 without coilovers.... I'm sure he'll pop in here eventually.

If its the lower spring perch you're talking about cutting and moving down, do whatever you need to cut it. Most people grind or cut the welds, then either re-weld or use a clamp lower down the tube. IMO its just better to ditch the spring and go with coilovers, then if you done like the height you can change it. And you can buy different springs.

Depending on your wheel offset you might be limited to how low you can go with the perch.

Rear springs- The dodge D50 and Ford T-Bird springs, once cut, lower and stiffen the rear.

here r the pics of said car....

PART_1329501718877.jpg

PART_1329501546930.jpg

and I would go coilovers but I dont want to drop that much coin right now. because the car needs other things too. Also I didnt know what year thunderbird springs worked but I found these on ebay..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOG-8658-Suspension-Coil-Spring-/170735606384?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1986%7CModel%3AThunderbird&hash=item27c0a29a70&vxp=mtr

and after looking up the specs on them they are..

• Inside Diameter 3.5', Bar Diameter .64', Installed Height 11'
  • Load rating: 1740 lbs.