Datsun 620

Hello I've had a 1973 Datsun for just about three months now has been a solid runner I'm 19 and have slowly been rebuilding it as I get each check I've put a new fender on it and replaced the voltage reg. along with the belt I have also replaced the alt. it recently ran into a few problems .... The lamp relay (headlight relay is bad) still allows lights to come on but stuck in high beam I can swap wires to make low beams. I Took the gauge. Cluster out it has a short in it somewhere... I just this morning had an issue it died and wouldn't start... I push started it and it runs and stays running I'm going to replace the pickup. Coil and the relay if needed but it's a solid little truck 4 speed with an l 20 b askin 1500 with. New relays and pickup coil thanks John... Text 503 351 0506 for pics and further questions

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The lamp relay (headlight relay is bad) still allows lights to come on but stuck in high beam I can swap wires to make low beams.
Someone replaced the headlight relay with a generic relay? I'm not surprised is only works one way. Most guys use two generic relays (high and low beams) or use a 6-pin relay so it can do both.

For the cluster gauges, they won't work correctly until the cluster is installed and tightened down. It grounds to the dash frame. Make sure the grounding screw is tight.

I just this morning had an issue it died and wouldn't start... I push started it and it runs and stays running I'm going to replace the pickup. Coil and the relay if needed
What do you mean by "pickup"? If it starts by push-start, the coil is good, distributor pickup is good. Fix the problem instead of randomly changing parts. Start with cleaning the battery cables.

That harness you want is at north portland picknpull. I hope you get this truck figured out. I had fun while I owned it, it's a great little truck. The owner before me daily drove it hard as a worktruck for many years. Would hate to see it get junked due to lack of knowledge/motivation

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.