72 240z coilover question

M240Z

I want to put coilovers on my Z so I can finally get this project under way but I'm not sure which ones. I was going to go ground control because I want to mainly track it but I also want to be able to slam it if I wanted to. I was thinking about miata coilovers but I'm not too sure on how I would connect them to the strut tubing. I want some nice coilovers as well, I like the DC2 coilovers for how low they go but I dont want to be that slammed even though it looks bad ass! Anyone have experience with either ground control or any type of miata coilovers on their Z? Help Please!!!!

Matt

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ground control coilovers on my 510, and I love the way it rides. I also have a 72 240z that I'm currently putting some ground control coilovers on. I can have some pictures and some more information for you in about a week. Lets see how low the Z will get with GC coilovers cool.gif

I have ground control coilovers on my 510, and I love the way it rides. I also have a 72 240z that I'm currently putting some ground control coilovers on. I can have some pictures and some more information for you in about a week. Lets see how low the Z will get with GC coilovers cool.gif

Sweet! I've herd nothing but good things about ground controls besides that they dont go low, but I know this guy (http://www.stancenation.com/forums/showthread.php?4194-73-240z) is on them and his car is low! I was thinking he maybe cut his springs though..If you can send me some pics of yours when your done that would be awesome!

You can't get low without sectioning your struts. I've been debating my options for the past 6 months. The price to section struts and build coilovers is close to buying pre-made janky chinese coilovers. I want my 225/45-15s to be flush with the fender lip, or have a 1/2" or less gap. Right now I'm monster truckin with about 2.5" front gap and 1.75" rear gap. My front fender tabs are about 6.5" off the ground. I have about 1.5" rear strut travel before bottoming and 2.5" up front. My car bottoms out every day. I hate it. I need much stiffer springs, a lower ride, and more negative camber because I'm killing my outside edge of my tires. I already relocated my front control arm pivot points up and out .75" to help with camber curve and increase static camber. That mod also resolved my bump steer issues. Let me know how your build goes, it looks like we are going in a similar direction.

Ground Controls- $400+ Shipping

Top hats for springs- $100+?

Front Strut cartridges- ~$250 for Tokico Illuminas (AW11 MR2, unfortunately nobody has specified which years asd the 85-86 have a different gland nut at the top)

Rear Strut Cartridges- ~$250 (I'm rebuilding my Bilsteins for a little less, but thats a close guess on cost)

Front camber plates- TTY $180+ shipping

Thats $1180+ Shipping already. Granted that would be a nice setup, it wouldn't allow for as much travel or adjustment as say the Arizona Z car coilovers ($1600 and they come with 4 camber plates). You can also buy the Generic Megan Racing or whatever coilovers on Ebay for around $1200 and have slightly less fabrication to deal with.

You can't get low without sectioning your struts. I've been debating my options for the past 6 months. The price to section struts and build coilovers is close to buying pre-made janky chinese coilovers. I want my 225/45-15s to be flush with the fender lip, or have a 1/2" or less gap. Right now I'm monster truckin with about 2.5" front gap and 1.75" rear gap. My front fender tabs are about 6.5" off the ground. I have about 1.5" rear strut travel before bottoming and 2.5" up front. My car bottoms out every day. I hate it. I need much stiffer springs, a lower ride, and more negative camber because I'm killing my outside edge of my tires. I already relocated my front control arm pivot points up and out .75" to help with camber curve and increase static camber. That mod also resolved my bump steer issues. Let me know how your build goes, it looks like we are going in a similar direction.

Ground Controls- $400+ Shipping

Top hats for springs- $100+?

Front Strut cartridges- ~$250 for Tokico Illuminas (AW11 MR2, unfortunately nobody has specified which years asd the 85-86 have a different gland nut at the top)

Rear Strut Cartridges- ~$250 (I'm rebuilding my Bilsteins for a little less, but thats a close guess on cost)

Front camber plates- TTY $180+ shipping

Thats $1180+ Shipping already. Granted that would be a nice setup, it wouldn't allow for as much travel or adjustment as say the Arizona Z car coilovers ($1600 and they come with 4 camber plates). You can also buy the Generic Megan Racing or whatever coilovers on Ebay for around $1200 and have slightly less fabrication to deal with.

I was planning on sectioning my struts also but isn't there a certain length that you have to cut them to in order for your car to keep all four wheels on the ground? I just can't make up my mind between the ground controls or doing a s13 conversion. The Megan coilovers allow for more adjustability correct? But I think that the ground controls would be more durable. I too want my tire and my fender to be flush, if not a little tucked but I want to have a car that will handle. I just need to figure out what coilovers will do that, and get a little tax $ and my project will be under way!biggrin.gif

I can't wait to see some pics Booger!

you can't wait to see some pictures.....and i can't wait for MY FREAKING PARTS TO COME!!! .....laugh.gif

I'll post them as soon as I get them installed. Suspension parts should be in sometime this coming week. I feel like a crack head waiting for his next highhyper.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! Oh and no worries at all man! I know exactly what you mean about not having all the time in the world, i go to school full time and work. Cant wait to see it though, good luck and thanks for your help!

Damn........its..........taking........forever.......haha. Pictures coming real soon buddy. I know I've been saying that the last couple weeks, but I'm serious. Everything is ripped out of the Z and I'm sectioning the strut tubes. Shouldn't be too much longer. Hang in there twofinger_salute.gif

zccjdm.com has an option for coilovers as well using s13 or 240sx coilovers such as Megan racing coilovers. adaptor tubes and camber plates for $350 and then you can choose a set of s13 coilovers and they are fully adjustable so when you lower them you retain shock travel. pretty good deal that was my plan before i sold my Z.

Booger its fine man, i havent got my tax return yet.haha cant wait to see it though, i saw the grey 240z i posted in the beginning of this thread at WEKFEST in San Fran..im pretty much sold on GCs.haha

Ratty260z....can i pick any coilover for an s13 or only megans? Also will they go low?

Booger its fine man, i havent got my tax return yet.haha cant wait to see it though, i saw the grey 240z i posted in the beginning of this thread at WEKFEST in San Fran..im pretty much sold on GCs.haha

Ratty260z....can i pick any coilover for an s13 or only megans? Also will they go low?

I think you can use stance coilovers as long as they have the same thread pitch and diameter and will screw into the adaptors they will work.

Crazyoctopus on hybridz.org runs them on his 240z I'm sure you could scrape frame rails before bottoming out the struts.

Ive seen his build, i think he uses megans? His Z is clean! If i can get it that low without fender flares that would be perfect. Ill have to do more research.

i know someone is tucking 16x9's in the rear without flares can't remember who but that was carefully planned out and barely fit it all depends on wheels and tires. I had to throw one of the Z's together quick so I didn't put the springs in had 14x6 wheels and 215/70/14's and they fit good couldn't fit my finger between the ground and frame rail though haha :D

Bubbi,

Which Z were you referring to (the one at Wekfest!?) at the beginning of this thread? As far as the wheels I plan on running....

Front- 15x10 -10 offset

Rear-15x11 -30 offset

With fender flares of course biggrin.gif

The grey one I posted the link to from the Stance Nation forum, so seksy in person!!!ohmy.gif

And thats going to look bad ass! What rims are you going to use?

The grey one I posted the link to from the Stance Nation forum, so seksy in person!!!ohmy.gif

And thats going to look bad ass! What rims are you going to use?

Damn that is sexy. I like the stance on that Z. As far as my rim choice goes, I haven't decided yet. I've been searching on all the fourms, eBay, Japan etc....I'll find something sooner or later. blink.gif