j13/15 spark plugs

burrito213

painted over the old ones, looking for some new ones

for this type of engine (J15-or-J13), i believe the gap is 0,32.

i was looking at NGK part no. 6410

any preferences or recommendations?....

i know spark plugs are simple but i am sure if i do something wrong i can do more harm than good like when i used to own a chevy colorado that loved autolite and not bosch platinum

thank you.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

crap. i dunno if i posted to the wrong area. if so, sorry mods. i was thinking of spark plug wires before i posted.

so datsunaholic - this may be a derp question but the differences are if i am using a resistor for the truck? or are both okay to use?

i will be using NGK wires, oem distributor, petronix electronic ignition and petronix flame thrower coil. i will be converting to 12 neg ground and using an (i think 80-85) amp saturn alternator onto a J15 engine.

does that help narrow down to specifically what i need?

im okay with engines but still need education in the electronics department.

thanks for the help

Resistor plugs are simply how the plug is made. Resistor plugs, like resistor spark plug wires, are meant to keep excess EMF from interfering with electronics in a car. A stock 320 had nothing electronic except the radio, so all that using non-resistor plugs and wires would do would be to make getting an AM radio signal a bit harder. Once electronic ignitions started showing up, Resistor plugs became standard. When cars started having ECUs controlling everything, they became mandatory to prevent false signals.

It probably won't make a difference in how it runs, and I don't know if Pertronix setups are particularly vulnerable to excess EMF but with the distributor (and hence the Pertronix) right next to the spark plugs I'd go with the resistor plugs. Plus it will make the radio sound better; this I've experienced personally.

Use the resistor plugs. Brand doesn't matter as long as you carefully Gap them. Don't get any fancy plugs, u-groove or 4 electrode, etc -- just get plain resistor plugs. Platinum are good if they have the right gap. Copper are fine too but won't last 50,000 miles like the platinum ones.

Resistor plugs have nothing to do with whether you are running a ballast resistor or not.

Gap 0.032 to 0.035 inch. Generally runs a bit smoother with a wider gap. The schedule calls for re-gapping every 12 months/12,000 miles. If running a pertronix Flame Thrower, delete the ballast resistor, and re-gap for 0.042 inch for better fuel economy, smoother running and more power.

So for Flame Thrower, get 0.042 gap plugs. NGK BR5ES-11 or equivalent. But double-check the gap on each plug before installation.

Thank you for the help.....

I bought the ngk 5866. They weren't easy to get but my local napa had a set that will be delivered hopefully by tommorow.

I will play with the gaps when I start running the engine. I wil definitely gap the spark plugs and play with the gaps as the 5866s' are gapped at 0.32