Plastic Speedometer Gear

Hello,

I got a speeding ticket. 74 in a 60. Time to fix the speedometer, huh? I didn't even know the truck would do that speed, and that proves it to be better than the beetle. After discovering that my cable was not broken, I put the project on hold and now regret that. I pulled out the plastic speedometer gear and discovered that it was seized up. The only explanation for that that I can think of is the trucks 20 year career of sitting around. So naturally, the metal gear chewed up the plastic one that refused to turn all this time. I got it to break loose so it might work if it wasn't for the missing teeth.

So, to get to the point, I need a speedometer gear for a 1973 Datsun 620. The gear has 16 teeth, and Nissan has informed me that the smallest gear that is still available today is 17. He wanted $16 for it. I did find a 16 tooth online for $87, ouch! I'm gonna try auto junkyards this weekend, but I was wondering if there was anyone on here who could help me. I won't pay more than $20, I'm cheap and will buy the 17 tooth from the dealer and have a speedometer slightly off before I'll pay more than $20 for a 16 tooth.

Also, how does it come off? Is it just that pin I can see, or is there more to it?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 tooth is 32703-22000 just to confirm the number.

17 tooth is 32703-22001.... about 3 mph out at 50... reads low, you are going faster

18 tooth is 32703-21100... about 6 mph out at 50... reads low, you are going faster

I thought the casing also affected the position of the speedometer pinion cog in relation to the internals of the transmission...or I could be waaaay wrong.

I have the opposite problem in the sedan...It says 62 and the real speed is 41 (I have one of those 'You are going this speed' signs in the neighborhood) I found my 18 tooth gear in a Maxima...now to install it...

ggzilla, that made me laugh! There is no traffic around here! I live in a town of 900, and was driving home from church in a town of 400, along a lonely stretch of highway 2 between the towns. The officer and I were the only cars in sight, he caught me going downhill so I had picked up some speed without realizing. Of course not having a speedometer helped the not realizing part of this story. So no, no flow.

And if I try to tell the judge that the truck isn't even capable of that speed, who's word you think he'll take? A Sheriff's deputy who says he caught me at that speed, or some 18 year old out of the farm field driving a $400 truck? Besides, I thought 620's were geared to be capable of 80 top speed or something like that. I guess you probably know more than I do about that. But I know the 620 is capable of going faster the the preceding truck models.

If I can't find anything at the junkyards I'll just have to buy the 17 tooth I suppose.

Guest kamakazi620

ggzilla, that made me laugh! There is no traffic around here! I live in a town of 900, and was driving home from church in a town of 400, along a lonely stretch of highway 2 between the towns. The officer and I were the only cars in sight, he caught me going downhill so I had picked up some speed without realizing. Of course not having a speedometer helped the not realizing part of this story. So no, no flow.

And if I try to tell the judge that the truck isn't even capable of that speed, who's word you think he'll take? A Sheriff's deputy who says he caught me at that speed, or some 18 year old out of the farm field driving a $400 truck? Besides, I thought 620's were geared to be capable of 80 top speed or something like that. I guess you probably know more than I do about that. But I know the 620 is capable of going faster the the preceding truck models.

If I can't find anything at the junkyards I'll just have to buy the 17 tooth I suppose.

Make sure to tell the Judge you speedo was Non operational at that time and how hard it is to find parts,If you can get it fixed before Court make sure to bring the receipts he might let you go,I'm surprised the officer didn't give you a "Fix it" ticket

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.