280zx shock question

Hey all,

I wouldn't have posted this question if i didn't already search and find nothing.

I cut the perches off the 280zx strut assy's. made a stop weld for my coil over and i am ready to put some struts in. the ones that came out are Tokico Illumina HZ3039. Can't find support for them anywhere. nor do i know what others will fit. i have heard that MR2 back struts fit the front well on the converted 280zx 510's.

Any guidance? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you mean support for them? If they still work use them

I like the Koni D 280zx strut inserts my self from classicgagrage or classiccargarage.

They adjustable rebound. so if you have a really stiff spring you can match it.

To stiff a spring the shock seal will only last so long on a standard type non adjustable shock

MR2 cartridge are shorter I believe so people shorten the 280zx strut to match and plus less positive or near zero offset tire can be installed and the weled strut perch can be lower not hittin inside of rim or tire.

I have no idea what those illumina hz3039 are off of (probably just a stock length for a 280zx tho) but many people cut the strut tube and shorten them for MR2 inserts like banzai said or even shorter for VW Rabbit inserts. I have rabbit illumina inserts and I am not crazy low but they still work great and give the option of going REAL low..

I appreciate all the responses guys. good info. I just got off the phone with Tokico. Learned a lot. they actually had to get back to me with an old head who knew about discontinued parts. get this....they are off a 1980 Dodge Colt! bet you never heard that one before. I am gonna start a separate thread for what i learned from them. long story short you can use dodge colt struts and not have to cut your housing. at least this is what was on my Drag car 510 when i bought it. the dodge colt is similar in weight as a 510 but it is FF so their must have been some more weight distribution up front, which should be good for us guys who are putting heavier engines up front. hmmmmm

• Like 1