couple of 411 newb questions

spdcrazy

The 411's with the vin starting are rl411 means it is an SSS?

all rl411's have the R16 engine (unless from mexico?)

did the rl411's for sure have a radio or not? i heard rumors that it was an option.

Tell me about the badges that should be on a rl411

thank you!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 411's with the vin starting are rl411 means it is an SSS?

all rl411's have the R16 engine (unless from mexico?)

did the rl411's for sure have a radio or not? i heard rumors that it was an option.

Tell me about the badges that should be on a rl411

thank you!

The "RL411xxxxxx" denotes a Super Sport Sedan. Wagons have a "WRL411xxx" chassis number/VIN

RL411 have a 1600 mid cam "type R" pushrod engine modified from the 1600 roadster engine to fit the smaller engine compartment as installed in the factory. God alone knows what various adventurous souls have stuffed into the tiny engine compartment by now.

The basic RL411 came without a radio [radio delete plate installed on the dash, see my avatar who is holding one], without a cigarette lighter, without a glove box lock, without a dash clock and nominally without a heater which was actually probably installed in all locations except Hawaii unless you intended to race it. The fog lights were optional and came with a special headlight switch with a "twist on" feature to activate the fog lamps. All 411 have the basic wiring for the fog lamps and 2 plugged holes in the front bumper to mount them. Although nominally optional, I believe all delivered RL411 had the trunk mat installed. Of course being 1967 you got a full sized spare tire in the trunk compartment. On the passenger side of the trunk you got a screw type bumper jack, the base held the spare down, and a pair of yellow steel wheel chocks.

The basic RL411 had a "1600" badge on the front grill and a "Datsun 1600" badge on the trunk lid. Various "SSS" type badges will be found on the C pillar, grill and trunk lid. Whether they were factory [as in "Deluxe Model"] or dealer installed to drive up the prices I don't know. The basic idea of badging station wagons as "Super Sport Sedans" strikes me as illogical and non Japanese, but stranger things than that have come from the Yokohama factory like the "Bluebird" emblems that Mr. K ripped off the first batch of 510s shipped to the states and replaced with "510" badges.