Headlight Help

b3y0ndd34th

WELL I APPRECIATE ALL THAT LOOKED BUT CHECK YOUR FUSABLE LINKS PPL, SOMEONE EFFED UP THE CONNECTOR TO THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE, I REPLACED THE WIRES AND SHE WORKS AGAIN!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!! To be a little more specific, it appears that my connector had 3 red and 1 green wires, the green wire was so heavily corroded it wasn't even really connected anymore, it seems it got warm and melted the spade connector into the plastic housing, I'm trying to get the pieces out to fix it right, but if nothing else I'll add my own blade connector for this one wire

Hello Ratsun,

I am new to your community, but I've been on many forums before. After searching and reading through this electrical section for the past two days I've decided to ask my question, as I am unable to find it previously asked. I see many similar problems, but mine's slightly different.

first off I want to start by saying this is my first Datsun. She's a 1975 Datusn 610 Wagon with the L20B still in. I think the cars came with a 4 speed transmission, but mine has a 5 speed. The car runs and drives beautifully, going to re-build the carburetor sometime this week and see if I can clear up some sputtering. BUT THIS IS NOT THE ISSUE. I purchased the car off of some young kid on the 11th of this month. When I bought the car the headlights worked. I had some issues with the battery staying charged, it was a really old battery, so I purchased another from Wal-Mart, installed it, drove her home. Now my headlights aren't working anymore. I've checked the fuses under the dash, and replaced them just to be sure. No fuses were blown but I replaced them anyway. The driving lights and sidemarkers all work correctly, the headlights will not turn on. I've tried jiggling the headlight switch, engaging and disengaging the hi-beams, none of them see to be the issue. My next guess was to check the fusable links, but I wanted to see what the community thought.

I will in time switch the fuses over from the Buss style to the blade style like many of you have done. But for now, it being the middle of January and we haven't seen snow all year until I bought my car, there's about a a foot outside so I'm going to wait for it to get warmer to start riping her apart. I just want to get my headlights working so I can drive to and from work!

Thank you all for you help, I am willing to post any pictures you may need to help with the issue, just let me know what you need!

I'm thinking it could be a relay or a switch issue, I was going to wire in a safety toggle for the headlights, but I think getting them to work first is a little more important :P

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two fusible links... one directly to the ignition switch, the other to several things including the light switch by way of the buse box. I'm saying that if your marker lights are working then the headlights should be as they share the same source.

If neither the high beams or low beams work, but the running lights work, Id check to see if you are getting power into and out of your headlight switch, and check your headlight relay, I had the same issue with my 620, well, not after changing the battery, but my relay just up n fried one day, worked the night before, and not the next day.

There are two fusible links... one directly to the ignition switch, the other to several things including the light switch by way of the buse box. I'm saying that if your marker lights are working then the headlights should be as they share the same source.

appreciate the reply mike, I fixed what the kid had mangled and the headlights work, I think the green wire was what the problem was, when I took the washer box out I saw the green wire just hanging out, I laughed replaced and my woes were taken care of lol.

This ignition Switch fusable link, where is it located, under the dash? Is it set so I could find an aux power line and possible attach a head unit to it? Not that big of a deal just curious.

One question, this Black connector (6) six wire, what is it used for? There's nothing here for me to plug it in to!

IMAG0091.jpg

Included some pics of my Datsun!!!

• 4 weeks later...

The GREEN wire is the fusible link i think.

Replace it with the same. It shouldn't be a bigger or smaller fusible link. And certainly should never be replaced with regular wire -- it protects the harness from shorting out.

22107.jpg

Nissan Part Number 24022-U0100 Fusible Link Datsun 610 $14