2 wires: 1 to spade on dizzy & 1 wire to???

Happy new year ya'll. I'm not sure why I didnt notice this before since I swapped this engine in and wired everything up myself over a month or 2 ago. My 86.5 nissan hardbody with z24i with auto tranny (84 z24s engine converted to z24i) with emissions removed. I noticed this weekend when I was fiddling with my timing again that at the distributor in the wiring harness that leaves distributor is 2 wires.....1 wire hooks to the spade terminal on the distributor and near where that wire exits the harness to hook to distributor is this other wire. I'm not sure where this other wire go's to because its only about 2 or 3 inches long but the end of it has been stripped as if it went into a butt connector or something.

I know the a/c pump wiring has been butchered by who ever before I got the truck but I dont think that other wire go's to the a/c wiring...I could be wrong. I looked at a few wiring diagrams but I'm not seeing it. So where does this wire go to? and what exactly do these 2 wires do...1 hooked to dizzy and that other

wire?

Could this be the issue of why my truck hesitates to start like

it has high compression?

Any advice is useful, I'm getting a cold and

over worked....maybe that wire will fix me too

:rofl:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were two Z24 dizzys, a 3 and a 4 wire.

On the 3 wire there is a +12 from the ignition (to the dizzy) and the other two go to the - terminals on the two coils.

On the 4 wire it is the same as above but a separate white wire with it's own connector. The white wire goes to a vacuum switch that, under full throttle, tells the dizzy to run only the intake side plugs and turn the exhaust side off.

4 wire dizzy. Nte the single white wire with it's own plug.

Z244wiredistributorcalisingleordualplugfiring.jpg

If you for sure have the 3 wire (and it runs) then either the intake or the exhaust coil isn't working.

There were two Z24 dizzys, a 3 and a 4 wire.

On the 3 wire there is a +12 from the ignition (to the dizzy) and the other two go to the - terminals on the two coils.

On the 4 wire it is the same as above but a separate white wire with it's own connector. The white wire goes to a vacuum switch that, under full throttle, tells the dizzy to run only the intake side plugs and turn the exhaust side off.

4 wire dizzy. Nte the single white wire with it's own plug.

Z244wiredistributorcalisingleordualplugfiring.jpg

If you for sure have the 3 wire (and it runs) then either the intake or the exhaust coil isn't working.

Without looking at my truck right now being its about 20 minutes away at work....the only thing I can tell you for sure is it doesnt have a vacuum hose on it like in the pic and I have 8 spark plugs. When I searched the forum before I even made this post about the wire I ran across that pic of the distributor in the original post of that pic and dismissed it because I seen the vacuum hose thinking that wasnt anything like I had....my apologies if that judgement of mine was ignorent.

I think the Harness the 2 wires I'm talking about are in the crank angle sensor harness leading off the distributor...If I remember right they are both black (I'm typing as I'm reading through my manual). I hope this helps abit of the confusion I created....I appreciate all the help and patients.

My fault!

Missed the part about the 86.5 Z24i (d21 motor?)

Yes you have the crank angle sensor with 2 wires. No vacuum advance it's all taken care of by the ECU.

So both wires from your CAS should go to a connector somewhat like this...

71080ampKAaltswap001Large.jpg

Are you saying there is a third wire coming from the CAS??

My fault!

Missed the part about the 86.5 Z24i (d21 motor?)

Yes you have the crank angle sensor with 2 wires. No vacuum advance it's all taken care of by the ECU.

So both wires from your CAS should go to a connector somewhat like this...

71080ampKAaltswap001Large.jpg

Are you saying there is a third wire coming from the CAS??

Yes it's a d21 hardbody, The crank angle sensor harness is like 2 foot long minus a few inches. As it leaves the distributor it loops beside it which is where that 1 spade wire hooks to the side of it and that other wire is beside it going to nothing (really close to fan as well) and the crank sensor harness continues across the top front of engine over to intake side where it hooks up. I really need my camera for times like this but a buddy borrowed camera and lost it :( .

My diagram shows 4 wires going directly into the CAS from the harness. The next thing spliced into that harness is a 'power steering oil pressure switch' and then two lugs on single wires each that are called 'engine grounds'. Sorry no color codes for the wires.

My diagram shows 4 wires going directly into the CAS from the harness. The next thing spliced into that harness is a 'power steering oil pressure switch' and then two lugs on single wires each that are called 'engine grounds'. Sorry no color codes for the wires.

Thanks! I'll try to make a drawing tomorrow and take a few notes on it at lunch time to make sure I'm not misleading you and I'll get back to you.

Thanks! I'll try to make a drawing tomorrow and take a few notes on it at lunch time to make sure I'm not misleading you and I'll get back to you.

My apologies!!!!!!! I was misleading you...not intentionaly though. The harness with the spade that hooks to the distribitor and has that other unknown wire is in a GROUND harness thats runs beside the CAS harness across the front top of the engine and has a wire connector bolt eye and bolts to the engine. That ground harness starts from right behind the drivers headlight...right by where my coils are and runs across to the engine and beside the CAS harness. So my over worked and tired dumbass assumes those 2 wires are grounds...1 to spade on distributor and the other? So to those I confused I apologize and I will try to pay more attention to what I'm lookin at. Thanks for your patients! As I said for all I know it might have something to do with my tough starting lol.