it has come to this: 521 for sale.

IMGP0033.jpg

SOLD!!!!

(OR SO I HOPE)

Looking for $1600 OBO now.... c'mon, it's springtime! workin-on-a-truck weather!

I haven't reposted to craigslist yet but i will probably within the week.

baldredhead came for a test drive last week and i actually cried a little when he pulled away! I don't even think it was my "crazy female hormones" either. He also said it sounded like it was only firing on 3 cylinders, but i don't really know.

also a curious thing happened during the move--- we were driving on the freeway at about 60-65 and hit one of the bumps in the freeway, not a huge one but enough to feel it--- and the truck stopped vibrating for about 5 seconds! that's strange right? anyone have any ideas what that means?

older text below:

This is a sad sad day. I hope someone can save it-- last resort is the vehicle buyback program in CA. I think it's closer to being fully awesome than being fully scrapped.

Below is the text from my CL ad.... anyone from the ratsun community has dibs-- if you're interested. I know 2k is pricey but i'm trying to get back some of what i put in-- i know the price will have to come down (but that's how we sell cars, right? negotiate!)

IMGP0050.jpg

I have a 1970 521 that I've decided to sell. I'd like to get $2000 for it. The color is the mint green grey and the body is rough--dents, rust, and the dash is dry/cracked, steering wheel too, and the seats need major help-- they are original and not in great shape. Some of the work we've had done in the last 6 months:

Brakes-- although the e-brake could be tighter.

Carb- new rebuilt (electric)

Starter- new

Driveshaft straightened and balanced: It still vibrates, so I'm not sure if it's the alignment/balance/tires/shocks, but there could be problems with those things too.

Center support bearing replaced (had to make the bushing ourselves in our kitchen--no longer available to buy)

New u-joints

--- Despite all of this work, there is still a vibration that occurs after 50 mph. I've heard replacing the 2 pc driveshaft with a one-piece would likely fix this, but I don't know if it's the tie rods/alignment that is the issue now, not the driveshaft.

I'm not a car guy, and we have too many balls in the air right now, and I'm just not sure if I can afford to continue to pour money into it at this point in my life. I love it to death. It will make me sad to sell it.

It was our daily driver (bay bridge commute every day) for about 5 months, until the center support bearing/bushing/driveshaft disaster (the bearing broke right off of the 101at about 6pm one day-- it was FUN.) If you work on cars or trust someone who does, i'm pretty confident you can get it back to normal. And if your daily drive isn't a freeway trip, the vibration might not cause you problems.

Also: please join the Ratsun forum if you get a Datsun. Those guys (and ladies) know a lot. A great resource for a Datsun owner.

I'm in Oakland-- email me back if you have any interest.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing wrong with 2 pc drive shaft.

I wouldjack the back up and put it in 3rd gear and see if it vibrates. If yes then take the wheels off and try again.If dosnt then its the wheels. If not then ck the drive shaft carefull while under neath and see if you see soemthing loss.

the carrier bearing rubeer has slop in it so it can move around about a 1/4 what I noticed.

If there is a 5 speed in there then it wasnt aligned right(the mount)

nothing wrong with 2 pc drive shaft.

I wouldjack the back up and put it in 3rd gear and see if it vibrates. If yes then take the wheels off and try again.If dosnt then its the wheels. If not then ck the drive shaft carefull while under neath and see if you see soemthing loss.

the carrier bearing rubeer has slop in it so it can move around about a 1/4 what I noticed.

If there is a 5 speed in there then it wasnt aligned right(the mount)

no 5 speed...but thanks for the tips-- Skyblue521 said his vibration problem might be the wheels too...

and the rubber has room for the bearing to move around inside of it? does it want to move like that or is that part of the problem--- i thought that is what led to the driveshaft being bent. there was a big half-moon worn out spot in the old bushing-- when i made the new one i filled it in w/rubber to make it fit tighter.

• 2 months later...

not sure how to bump--hope this is it!

IMGP0033.jpg

Bump?

Looking for $1600 OBO now.... c'mon, it's springtime! workin-on-a-truck weather!

I haven't reposted to craigslist yet but i will probably within the week.

baldredhead came for a test drive last week and i actually cried a little when he pulled away! I don't even think it was my "crazy female hormones" either. He also said it sounded like it was only firing on 3 cylinders, but i don't really know.

also a curious thing happened during the move--- we were driving on the freeway at about 60-65 and hit one of the bumps in the freeway, not a huge one but enough to feel it--- and the truck stopped vibrating for about 5 seconds! that's strange right? anyone have any ideas what that means?

older text below:

This is a sad sad day. I hope someone can save it-- last resort is the vehicle buyback program in CA. I think it's closer to being fully awesome than being fully scrapped.

Below is the text from my CL ad.... anyone from the ratsun community has dibs-- if you're interested. I know 2k is pricey but i'm trying to get back some of what i put in-- i know the price will have to come down (but that's how we sell cars, right? negotiate!)

IMGP0050.jpg

I have a 1970 521 that I've decided to sell. I'd like to get $2000 for it. The color is the mint green grey and the body is rough--dents, rust, and the dash is dry/cracked, steering wheel too, and the seats need major help-- they are original and not in great shape. Some of the work we've had done in the last 6 months:

Brakes-- although the e-brake could be tighter.

Carb- new rebuilt (electric)

Starter- new

Driveshaft straightened and balanced: It still vibrates, so I'm not sure if it's the alignment/balance/tires/shocks, but there could be problems with those things too.

Center support bearing replaced (had to make the bushing ourselves in our kitchen--no longer available to buy)

New u-joints

--- Despite all of this work, there is still a vibration that occurs after 50 mph. I've heard replacing the 2 pc driveshaft with a one-piece would likely fix this, but I don't know if it's the tie rods/alignment that is the issue now, not the driveshaft.

I'm not a car guy, and we have too many balls in the air right now, and I'm just not sure if I can afford to continue to pour money into it at this point in my life. I love it to death. It will make me sad to sell it.

It was our daily driver (bay bridge commute every day) for about 5 months, until the center support bearing/bushing/driveshaft disaster (the bearing broke right off of the 101at about 6pm one day-- it was FUN.) If you work on cars or trust someone who does, i'm pretty confident you can get it back to normal. And if your daily drive isn't a freeway trip, the vibration might not cause you problems.

Also: please join the Ratsun forum if you get a Datsun. Those guys (and ladies) know a lot. A great resource for a Datsun owner.

I'm in Oakland-- email me back if you have any interest.

• 4 weeks later...

sold!!!!!

(i think...i took a deposit so they still have time to change their mind!)

i certainly didnt come anywhere near getting $2k for it... but i liked them. So i feel good that they will fix er up and it will live on. i might cry when i come home and it's gone.

maybe i'll try the 620 next--- they seem easier to get parts for...not to mention i think they have 1 pc driveshafts.....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.