Tranny swap.

Siempreloco

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also- would it be easier to just swap the whole engine/tranny of the l20 into the 73?

The 73 is clean and beautiful, and the l16 in it is rebuilt and well done, but it has the 4 speed(I prefer auto,sorry) the l20 i have is original, but runs solid, and has the 3 speed auto hooked up to it, inside a 78 rusty datto project i got a few days ago.

Would I be an idiot for tossing the l16 in the junk truck with the 4 speed on it, and using the l20/auto setup in the clean 73?

Thought you had an auto in there now.

You could fit the L20B and auto in there but the '78 transmission is about 5 1/2" longer than what's in there now. The 620 uses a two piece driveshaft, so if you can get the shorter front half driveshaft from the '78, it should fit the '73 and allow the longer transmission to fit.

Not sure how the stock 4 speed crossmember and mount will work on the automatic. Get the '78 if you can.

You will need an automatic radiator or an after market finned in-line transmission cooler.

Take lots of before during and after pictures.

Thanks for the reply, im pretty psyched to go from no datsun to all datsun in a matter of a week, but I obviously have a lot to learn, maybe ill just get over my damn self and drive the 4 speed as-is, i mean, no need in wasting a beautifully rebuilt l16 bored 30 over with a weber into a junk truck that my grandpa will probably steal from me and start fixing up as i race around in the beauty '73

((He acts like he hates the ideas of the ratsuns, but he's already half-way converted, he offered to buy the 78 off me if i get the 73!))

As long as you are not spastic, a little right hand and left foot co-ordination, some practice and anyone can drive a 4 speed. When I was learning, my neighbor would take me out driving and I had a bad habit of looking at the shifter. He yelled at me and I stopped. It was for my own good. :D

I can't imagine going auto at this point. When I take a plane and have to rent a car I get all clusterfucked while driving. Can't figure out what to do.

I was driving my moms '72 delta 88 when I visited her, and when to hit the clutch and hit the wide ass brake pedal instead.....cause there was no clutch.

I like driving manual and feeling everything. I can tell when something isn't running right a little easier too it seems