Brittle Windshield Seal Repair

My factory windshield seal (front and rear) look pretty good overall, except the corners are brittle to the point of falling apart and cracking.

I was thinking of ways to fix, or at least make them look better. Came up with this. "Plasti Dip"

54117251.jpg

It's for dipping your tool handles in. I got black of corse.

I'm going to try paining some of this onto the corners to fill the cracks, then maybe sand a little to blend it in with the rest of the seal. I'll let you all know how it turns out. :)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm repeating this from some time ago. Trim the brittle corner sections at a 45 degree angle to the windshield with a sharp single edge razor blade or Xacto type knife. Scrape the glass as clean as you can. Go as far up the sides as looks cruddy to insure that you will seal all the leak paths. Wet a rag with white vinegar and scrub the glass and the sound surface of the existing rubber seal. This both cleans the glass and primes the rubber to insure a good bond. Use black RTV no silicone, it outgasses acetic acid [vinegar] as it cures and will bond well to the primed rubber seal. Smooth with a wet finger or any old piece [wet] of sheet plastic and it will look as good as new. I use the junk "try my credit card" mailers. Probably better looking than the rest of the seal. As above, trim carefully with a razor blade or hobby knife to clean over load on the glass.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to have to give this a shot on my 411..seems logical and like it would give me a good looking finished product.

I'm repeating this from some time ago. Trim the brittle corner sections at a 45 degree angle to the windshield with a sharp single edge razor blade or Xacto type knife. Scrape the glass as clean as you can. Go as far up the sides as looks cruddy to insure that you will seal all the leak paths. Wet a rag with white vinegar and scrub the glass and the sound surface of the existing rubber seal. This both cleans the glass and primes the rubber to insure a good bond. Use black RTV no silicone, it outgasses acetic acid [vinegar] as it cures and will bond well to the primed rubber seal. Smooth with a wet finger or any old piece [wet] of sheet plastic and it will look as good as new. I use the junk "try my credit card" mailers. Probably better looking than the rest of the seal. As above, trim carefully with a razor blade or hobby knife to clean over load on the glass.