1986 720 FP relay wiring

izzo

This is what I did.

I used the accessories as the battery, the alternator as the trigger. This is just a temp solution... Till i can throw in a new oil pressure switch. I also now know how to bypass it altogether if i get stuck on the side of the road... So, this is my temp fix.

2011-12-12_11-19-18_262.jpg

Now that is much better than cutting up a good harness. Completely reversible and just waiting for the proper fix to the problem.

Way to go Izzo. :D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that is much better than cutting up a good harness. Completely reversible and just waiting for the proper fix to the problem.

Way to go Izzo. :D

lol thanks Jason, my goal was never to cut the original harness. Just needed the diagram to figure out how to wire the bosch relay in. What I didn't realize is that power came from most of the wires. That shit trips me out.. I can see why they have a special relay for that fuel pump cut off now. It is a safety feature, but sucks when something goes haywire. At least now I have a backup and wont get stranded again after i replace the oil unit - if it the oil pressure switch isn't the cause.

• 4 months later...

not to drag out an old thread, but did you ever find the real problem? I'm chasing the same deamon in my 84... keep getting redirected to the fuel pump relay but it isnt bad (tested, swapped, tested... etc) symptoms exactly the same! if you figured it out I would love to know!! and if your still running your temp fix has it worked fairly well? if so I'll just rigg up like you did :)

• 7 months later...

not to drag out an old thread, but did you ever find the real problem? I'm chasing the same deamon in my 84... keep getting redirected to the fuel pump relay but it isnt bad (tested, swapped, tested... etc) symptoms exactly the same! if you figured it out I would love to know!! and if your still running your temp fix has it worked fairly well? if so I'll just rigg up like you did :)

Never did track it down, truck is sold and gone to another part of oregon, but he is still driving it just like it is today.