DQ Magazine 510 Tail light seals from GM V6 valve cover

I have the Volume 11 Issue 1 Dime Quarterly. In it theres a part on how the 85-93 GM 4.3L V6 valve cover gaskets fit the 510 tail lights. Just need the hols punched. It even has the NAPA part number (VS 50086 R)

Stopped by Napa, Auto Zone and O'reileys on the way home. All three places had the fel-pro gaskets in stock. All three were about an inch to long. Didn;t look like they worked at all????

Whats up here? Anyone used these??

Help Please.

FYI the Napa people, super helpful like usuall, Auto Zone, pleasant lady. O'reilys......super dick parts monkey know it all...."What kinda car is it"? guy was a jerk.........

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Volume 11 Issue 1 Dime Quarterly. In it theres a part on how the 85-93 GM 4.3L V6 valve cover gaskets fit the 510 tail lights. Just need the hols punched. It even has the NAPA part number (VS 50086 R)

Stopped by Napa, Auto Zone and O'reileys on the way home. All three places had the fel-pro gaskets in stock. All three were about an inch to long. Didn;t look like they worked at all????

Whats up here? Anyone used these??

Help Please.

FYI the Napa people, super helpful like usuall, Auto Zone, pleasant lady. O'reilys......super dick parts monkey know it all...."What kinda car is it"? guy was a jerk.........

The article was written by Julie Coop.

Her website shows pics of the gasket install.

http://www.510coop.com/completed/taillights.htm

Looks like there is a little extra gasket that either needs to be doubled up or cut and glued but this still looks like a good fix for a part that is NLA and cheaper then the aftermarket stuff that is available.

Trim062.jpg

Trim063.jpg

She has lots of other good stuff on her site too.

http://510coop.com

Nope, doesnt work. It's not my internet, everything else works. this is weird.

it is you, works fine for me. No waiting either. Well maybe, site is a bit weird and may not display right in certain browsers, but should not cause a timeout.

But anyways here is what is inside the link:

Tail Lights

I found that the seals were bad. After some creative work, I cut a rubber seal meant for a minivan's valve cover to something that fits and works. Went to the parts shop with the old seal and got the closest thing I could find. What you don't see in the photos is the way I cut out the excess length of the seal and dovetailed it together. They've been holding water out for about a year now.

Update: I found a better fitting set that need only the holes punched: NAPA part number: VS 50086 R — Application: GM V6 262cl 4.3L 1993-85 and 262cl 4.3L Turbo 1993-91

HlDSZ.jpgwcvVp.jpg

bkA78.jpg8RD3o.jpg

LCnK8.jpgFvSnj.jpg