510 ka24de crossmember and driveshaft help

FiveTenzo

Hello, almost done with ka swap but now not sure on trany crossmember and driveshaft.

*1. crossmember

I have a ka24de with stock transmission, using 510 motor mounts.

trying to figure out how high the transmission should be. ive seen both ways done (pictures below). And noticing one is lower than the other. i would perfer to do it the high way (picture 1) for two reasons, 1. easier to fabricate 2. transmission will be higher and not hit all over the place

(im guna be low). the 2nd picture the transmission end is almost at the same height as the diff end but not sure if the engine/tranny is leveled enough, dont want to have it crooked (pic 3, drivrshaft 3 high strain bad vibe). So any input? btw i will be using angle iron, little less than 1/4" thick.

IMG_33244-1.jpg

GOPR0249-1.jpg

2011-03-26_210629_pic1.jpg

*2. driveshaft

I know that the 510 driveshaft fits by shortining it and cutting the dust shield? is the part i marked where i should cut to remove the shield? (pictired below) Before i was using a 280zx 5 speed transmision with my L20, not sure what the driveshaft is from but would it also work with my ka24de?

DSC_6699-1.jpg

Thanks in advance

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep mounting the tranny higher would obviously be better however you will have to cut the transmission tunnel more.. which isn't a big deal. I would prefer the first way as well, but I bought the car with engine and tranny in it already and it came with the lowered mounts (2nd pic is my car tongue.gif )

Not sure if the 280zx driveshaft will work... I'd assume yes, but may want to double check. Make sure you take the dust shield off COMPLETELY. We made the mistake of not cutting it off all the way........... o yea, don't nick the yoke when you're taking the dust shield off. sad.gif

Also, my differential (Subaru 3.70 LSD) isn't parallel with the ground... the front part is actually higher than the rear.... not sure if that's the same for everyone else?