Best advice for a Z24 Bottom rebuild

Ruck

My sweet '83 King Cab needs an engine and although I could find a used one (been there, done that, sad story) I am seriously considering a rebuild of one of the spares I have in the garage.

I want the equivalent of a factory rebuild that will last at least 50-75K miles. Is there already something in this forum I've missed titled 'Top ten things for a moderately mechanically inclined person to consider before rebuilding your engine'?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes the wear is so slight that you can simply re-hone the cylinders and install new rings. Only way to know is to have them measured and compare to the piston width. And no, the 89mm Z24 bore is not 89mm and neither are the pistons. Close but all fall within several ranges or tolerance because they are mass produced. Careful measuring will tell you if you need to over bore and get over size pistons and rings with closer fit. If over boring, the cylinders have to be bored to match the pistons so they must be supplied to the person doing the work. An 89.5mm piston may not be exactly 89.5. Could be slightly over or under so the bore must match it exactly for proper fit/clearance.

Well you can measure the bore with the piston a BDC. Rod and main journals can be measured by using Plasti-Gauge. If rebuilding it, it can be measures when taken apart. 1/4 million miles can safely be taken for granted that it can be re-built.

Yep, probably at most needs new rings and timing chain set.

The bearings last usually at least 1/4 million miles.

You can measure ring wear without taking the engine out. Do the smoke-throttle tests and a compression test. Don't fix what ain't broke. The Z-series engine is a tough engine.

• 3 months later...

Appreciated. I'm now driving this thing back and forth to Starbucks. It blows blue smoke on acceleration. I'm going to do a compression test. Any way to diagnose bad valve seals (versus worn rings)? Valve seals are relatively easy to replace and I guess I could just replace them and see whether that makes a difference.