Finding TDC on Z24 motot

JoeR

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull the #1 exhaust plug and stick finger in hole. Bump starter till air starts to push out. Turrn front crank bolt with 24?mm wrench slowly until pulley notch is at 0 (zero) on timing scale bolted to the pass side of timing chain cover near the alternator. Both valves should be closed on #1.

27mm socket.

But for setting valves, TDC isn't as important as having the cam follower sitting on the heel of the cam, or at least very close to. You can see that just by looking. I never go to #1 TDC first when doing valve adjust, I just go to whichever valves are already at (or near, then go to that) TDC for that cylinder, do that one, then rotate the crank 180 for the next cyl. I use a Sharpie to mark which valves are done.

Oh, and NEVER rotate the engine backwards.

• 2 years later...

what if you are trying to find TDC without the use of the starter...

I have a new remanufactured engine in an 88 D21 and I have not gotten it ready to start yet. it has everything but the radiator, intake, and exhaust manifold installed. I want to time the thing before I go any further.

would you simply turn the engine using the 27mm crank bolt? or is the starter neccessary?

or do I need to just get the truck ready to fire first? I am almost 100% sure I need to check the dist/oil pump rod again aswell.