L18 vacuum question and carb issue.

74green

I just put a new to me L18 in my 620 and I have three spots for vacuum lines I don't know where they go, I was hoping you guys could help me out cause I now there are alot of datsun experts on here. I forgot cause I pulled the old motor out a year and a half ago and didn't label anything cause I thought I'd have it fixed quickly, big mistake.

The other problem I'm having is the carburetor is getting WAY too much fuel, I'm familiar with adjusting screws on carburetors and how to adjust them. When on the throttle the motor bogs down and a little gas sprays out the top of the carb. It idles 'ok' but when looking into the carb it is dumping way more fuel than I remember seeing when the carb was on my old motor.

Below are pics, first of vacuum port on intake manifold, second a pic of the two on the carburetor, and just for fun a pic of my truck when I used to drive it.

vac2.jpg

vac3.jpg

datsun.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that big tube one from the intake I assume its the power brake its going too. I would just plug the hole on all of them. the one also on frive side of the carb. Thats a BCDD valve or soemthing.Somebody else might know what they are for. Maqybe plug that also unless soembody else gives specifics.

In dought plug themmost are a emission thing

gas comming out the tip could be float set wrong or if you installed a eleltric fuel pump you need to regulate it down to 3 pounds.

Thank you for the replies!

I had them plugged and unplugged when i was running it and noticed no difference. I'll just plug them and call it good.

I don't have to apply for emissions. I think the previous owner of my truck eliminated most of the emission stuff, cause there really isn't much going on under the hood as far as that goes. I just didn't know if these were important or not.

I have a mechanical fuel pump still. I will check out the float and hopefully that solves the issue. Makes sense cause the fuel level on the sight glass is almost to the top of the window.

I'm excited to get this thing running so I can start driving it again. I really like these old datsuns, they've got style. My B2200, not so much.