Dang near sealed up my entire 510 for under $50 at pick-n-pull

VintageRice

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Started looking for some window squeegies that could be modified and attached to thte stock 510 trim piece. Found a set that looked promising off a older ford/murcury. Yanked them.

Ended with this.

seal7.jpg

seal8.jpg

this turned out great!

What era are we talking about here?

some of the fords i looked at (mainly 90s) have that C shaped/clamp style door squeegees...i might have to dig further into history. I have three yards that surround me that kinda carry different amounts of one age and import/domestic than the other ones (makes it easier to know that you only have to go to one yard if you are searching for something). but yeah, should the 70s-80s big box boat cars be what i'm looking for?

I wanna say it was a late 80's early 90's car. I wish I would have paid closer attention but I took squeegies off like ten cars when I was there sorted through them at the end so got kina confusing. I know the car was in the ford/merc section, but that's all I'm sure of. Next trip to PnP I'll look around.

I found the same ones, only shorter, (probably too short) on a mazda truck and that was also that era vehicle.

The squeegees came off a ford probe. Just got back from PnP.

89-92 or 93-97?

I found an early 90's eclipse a few days ago and pulled the door seals. Seems to work well. I put the door sills in, trimmed it a little and and left the bottom part of the original door seal on for now. Not sure what I'm going to do about the back doors though..

89-92 or 93-97?

I found an early 90's eclipse a few days ago and pulled the door seals. Seems to work well. I put the door sills in, trimmed it a little and and left the bottom part of the original door seal on for now. Not sure what I'm going to do about the back doors though..

DAMMIT !

Ok, I got this..........hold on.

Ok, checked their online inventory and they show only one there, it was off a 1993.

The squeegies I found yesterday, the black paint was flaking off the seal, and there was chrome under it. Mine were all rubber coated. So I'm not sure if theres still another ford car with the same type of trim, or just a different year/package had the rubber coated stuff. OR maybe this probe was just is worse shape IDK.

Wither way, now you guys know what to hunt for and what the seal looks like. Just go to your local yard and start plucking seals. All you need is a flat head screw driver to start plucking them off.

Just start with this profile.

seal4.jpg

And trim the little flap off to look like this.

seal5.jpg

then the trimmed side faces the window, and the metal "7" shaped part hugs the factory trim piece. Wha-LA!

just got back from pull-a-part.

got two more 1990 eclipse door seals

hopefully enough door felt to do all 4 windows (out of an 85 720 and late 80's isuzu trooper)

also two inner squeegees off the 720 which I'm hoping will work with some trimming

All for less $6 cool.gif

unfortunately no decent late model probes and I'm still on the look out for something for the trunk

Those door seals do look BMW-like. Look for late 80s e30 (3 series) and early 80s e28 (5 series). I have owned a few of both of those cars and those seals look very similar. Also similar to 240D and 300D MBs which come in wonderful colors like turd brown.

Also the squeegies look like they could be off the same cars as well. Look for 2 door e30s since the doors are longer, better chance to fit in one clean run. e30 sedan window length may not even be as long as PL510 2 door windows based on my best guess.

so with the hood E30 rubber, did you trim it down some (on the bottom) in order for the hood to close properly?

I imagine that you had to...my hood bows a little bit in the middle... Just checking.

Also, tried to use a 90s Sentra trunk rubber... Not gonna work, it's a bit thick (that's what she said) and you would need an additional 14" to complete the loop. Prob gonna hit the yard tomorrow to find something more 'usable'.

• 1 year later...

Picked up my door seals from an Eclipse as stated above yesterday.

My '72 2dr 510 came with no rear window rubber/seals at all.. NOTHING.. I don't even know what to look for or what they look like.

Can someone snap some pics of the rear window seals around the window frame and window opening? Perhaps I can match it up with something at the PnP, unless someone has already done it and can share what it came off.

Thanx in advance..

• 2 weeks later...