l20b rebuild

jetsetter58

looking to build good relible street engine for 1980 720.Will be first car for son so want it to be fun to drive look and sound good also.Have open a87head and u67 head 4 speed trans and drivetrain from 78 620,also new degv32\36 carb.Any ideas will be most appreciated,would like to do this for 1000.00 or less.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looking to build good relible street engine for 1980 720.Will be first car for son so want it to be fun to drive look and sound good also.Have open a87head and u67 head 4 speed trans and drivetrain from 78 620,also new degv32\36 carb.Any ideas will be most appreciated,would like to do this for 1000.00 or less.

When I built the bottom end of my LZ23, I bought alot of the stuff off ebay. I bought a new turned crank, it even came with all the bearings for just over $100. I bought 4 NPR Pistons also off ebay for about $80. What cost the most was the bore job. They had to make two passes at my Z22 block to get it to 89mm (Used KA24 Pistons). Ebay seems to work for me so far.

Thanks looking on ebay and craigslist also for parts,Need ideas on build have u67 head and open a87 got 76 head on here already built.Should I look to build a l22 engine hoping for 130-140hp with good low end and mid range power,and be solid engine with good milage on 87-89 oct. gas,I also have new weber 32\36 carb.What shoud I do as for pistons ,crank etc.THANKS

It will cost about the same to rebuild a Z22 as n L20B so if you can find a 'free' or rebuildable Z22 for $50 maybe go that route. You will need the U-67 head, L20B oil pan and pick up. L20B timing cover and valve train and motor mounts. What you are going to do is turn (the very similar) Z22 into and L22B. (if there even is such a thing) Overbore to the next size and fit oversize pistons and rings. Rod and main bearings too. You will need a Z22 head gasket because of the increased bore.

This will give you an LZ22 motor with 9.84 compression. If you think this too high you can grind some metal off the combustion chamber specially around the valves to unshroud them as there is extra room with the 87mm bore size. Or rebuild the L20B motor.