Quaife LSD for Roadsters and other H190 cars

IronBlock

Hey guys. First post on here - I originally posted this topic on 311s.org, but I got a lot of suggestions to come over here and post the same information.

I've been talking with someone over at Quaife about the possibility of manufacturing an H190 LSD option for Roadsters, 1200s, 510 Wagons, etc. They said that if I could get 10 buyers, the price would be in the ballpark of $1185 USD.

For those who don't know, the Quaife ATB is a gear type torque-biasing differential. When you corner, instead of progressively locking the wheels together, torque is split between the two wheels, and biased towards the wheel with better grip. What this means is awesome grip, pulling towards the inside of corners, and just general better traction.

Quaife's also got a lifetime unlimited warranty on all their products. If it breaks for any reason, whether it was raced or not, they'll replace it.

I'm definitely still in the planning stages with this. I need to send specs or a diff to Quaife to get a better idea what's actually involved, but I think that this would be an amazing option if I can swing it.

Anyone else interested?

Interested parties (2/10):

1. Corey Vixie (IronBlock)

2. rpowell25

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My experiance with these LSDs is that they are NOT worth thier asking price and dont perform as well as a clutch type LSD I personally know a few people that have spent the money on them and absolutly regreat buying them.... I know that we have little to know options as far as a LSD for the wagons and roadsters but in my opinion if I was going to approch somebody to make these I would look into having KAAZ or OSGiken make them, just my opinion being around the autocross community and seeing what the response that the 510 and Datsun guys that have ran them.

Clayton

Pretty sure KAAZ isn't interested, and OS Giken makes one, if you can stomach $1700 for a clutch type. Not my cup of tea, but the option does exist.

Clayton, what was the application you saw these in? I know some drift guys who bought them because they were expensive, and then got mad when they couldn't slide like they used to with their welded diffs. laugh.gif

Pretty sure KAAZ isn't interested, and OS Giken makes one, if you can stomach $1700 for a clutch type. Not my cup of tea, but the option does exist.

Clayton, what was the application you saw these in? I know some drift guys who bought them because they were expensive, and then got mad when they couldn't slide like they used to with their welded diffs. laugh.gif

The guys I know that have ran them were mostly in autocross but Derek over on the realm ran one in his 510 in the Targa rally and complained about that as soon as you unloaded a tire it would just spin the inside tire (like an open diff) same was said buy the guys in that autocross. As im sure you know its so frustrating either while racing or even on the street when trying to accelerate quickly from stop while making a turn and you just spin the inside tire. Even with a good LSD in a wagon or roadster the axles are in my opinion the biggest problem they are way small and the spline count being only 23 spline they are just weak and I have seen my buddy Pat break an axle in one of his wagons with a L18 with a weber LOL.

The guys I know that have ran them were mostly in autocross but Derek over on the realm ran one in his 510 in the Targa rally and complained about that as soon as you unloaded a tire it would just spin the inside tire (like an open diff) same was said buy the guys in that autocross. As im sure you know its so frustrating either while racing or even on the street when trying to accelerate quickly from stop while making a turn and you just spin the inside tire. Even with a good LSD in a wagon or roadster the axles are in my opinion the biggest problem they are way small and the spline count being only 23 spline they are just weak and I have seen my buddy Pat break an axle in one of his wagons with a L18 with a weber LOL.

Yeah, I'm remembering now that when I set up the last OBX I used, I bought different spring washers and increased the preload a LOT. That helped in situations where I was losing traction on one or both wheels. I think it might come down to driver preference in a lot of cases, but yeah, I remember that being the biggest drawback of this differential style. Outside of that situation, I've never enjoyed an LSD more.

I worry about the axles as well... They really are kinda bitty baby things. I know some people have used the 720 axles (I think shortened), but that'd be a different differential again. I guess I better just hope that a cammed R20 hasn't got what it takes to bust the axles, hahaha.

for that kinda money it is pointless to use a wagon axle. For the same price or less (depending on your fab skills) their are much better alternatives) im into my H-190 wagon axle 900 bucks with a clutch type lsd and tons of time. Their is no new ring and pinions anymore. So setting up a h-190 with a used prolly truck ring and pinion gets a bit tricky. Lets do some math though. If the price was 1185 you still need (or DIY) ring and pinion setup backlash settings at the least,which last time I did it was 160 bucks(backlash and new shims) so thats 1345 dunno what new pinion bearings cost, but the carrier bearings are about 28 each I think, so thats 1401 (maybe the new carrier comes with new bearings??? But still with used ring and pinion and used pinion bearing no gear lube,or gasket and twigs for axles. You can wrap up about 1500 into a diff easy that is basically better left alone IMO. I regret putting 900 into mine its all used stuff it could last forever it could gernade tomorrow its a guessing game. So from a buisness stand point I dont think you would sell many you biggest market would be vintage roadster guys, and that is a very small market and even those guys hate the wagon\ roadster toothpick axles. Sorry if I bursted your bubble and I can also see being very disapointed in a diff like that but thats my opinion take it or leave it.

yeah, I'm totally into the 200sx H190 rear ends with the big spline axles... Not much is out there other than a detroit locker or to weld up the spider gears as far as the differential itself.

A bonus with the H190 large spline rear ends are that there are a lot of chunks available in junkyards all over the place in all kinds of ratios. 3.54 steel in a 200sx up to a 4.38 alloy in a 521 or steel 720 4x4 pickup... and I have a roadster alloy diff with a welded 200sx center and 4.88 gears that I got for $75 shipped from a rally 210 guy...

The thing about a detroit locker is that you need to be either full off or full on the throttle, or else it will operate erratically. It works great in circle track applications (think, mini stock) since you are usually in full throttle or off the throttle. Also works decently in drag racing if you don't want to run a welded differential for safety considerations..

If you are running an SCCA or any type of racing class that requires a stock rear end, the H190 is pretty decent for what it is... there was a pretty good bit of racing equipment for the H190 back in the day, and on occasion some of it pops up. You just have to be there to scoop it up when it does pop up.