Fuel tank ideas... fabricators needed

Alright guys, hours picked up work so I'm trying to get a few things straightened out. Primarily, my fuel leak.

My stock tank has a leak at the seam about half way up that I've tried repairing and sealing, but is past gone. I was quoted $170-200 to be repaired the correct way locally, which got me thinking, why not just put in a little bit better tank?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-290100/?rtype=10

I thought about mounting it where the spare tire sits (gotta make measurements first.)

The tank straps up to the frame at two points. The next problem that I came up with, is that in the event of a rear collision it needs to be protected.

I was inspired by this car below. The idea is to take some 1'' square steel tubing and weld a frame around the tank that bolts to the frame at 4 points, two on each side.

5905298995_1c8c205a28_b.jpg

The next problem is filling the gas tank.

Easy solution: Cut out an insert in the bed and put it on a hinge. Gas door! Get a cheap door lock and it's done cool.gif

I'm just kind of playing with this idea, because it seems like something that is well within my range of fabrication. I'm just looking for input at the moment.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

shit, if ya got the money and the skillz, do it!

where are you gonna mount the spare tire? run without one??

It's nothing immediate, but I'm toying with the idea. In order to have a nice datto, ya gotta know how to fabricate. I've been wanting to do something big like this for some time. I have all the tools.

The spare tire can sit in the bed like a bawse! Old school style cool.gif I'll just get a nice little wheel and put a decent tire on it.

EDIT: This will also move a lot of weight towards the back practically over the rear axle. Little bit better traction for slippery driving.

can you find a decent stock tank to throw in it while workin on this idea? i know datto parts in georgia arent as common as they are out here....

I wish it was that easy. lol

I've sourced a few, but haven't had a chance to go take a look. I doubt they're in much better condition then the one I already have though, but it's worth a look.

Try to see/feel one of those tanks before you spend the money. I had one in a corolla race car and it always felt like nothing more than a think plasic milk jug holding flammable liquid....

If you do decide to go this route, make sure it is strapped down very tight, very well supported, and not resting or rubbing on anything sharp. Also if it was me I'd pull it out after 6 months and make 100% sure it's not wearing weird anywhere, then if it looked good, take it out about once a year after that. If the brackets are built right this should be an easy task.

Buy some of the fuel cell foam if it doesn't come with it, as it will help greatly reduce fuel sloshing which will help keep the fuel going to the pump.

I like the idea for a cage around it, although if done wrong it may just become the sharp object that punctures the tank...

Try to see/feel one of those tanks before you spend the money. I had one in a corolla race car and it always felt like nothing more than a think plasic milk jug holding flammable liquid....

If you do decide to go this route, make sure it is strapped down very tight, very well supported, and not resting or rubbing on anything sharp. Also if it was me I'd pull it out after 6 months and make 100% sure it's not wearing weird anywhere, then if it looked good, take it out about once a year after that. If the brackets are built right this should be an easy task.

Buy some of the fuel cell foam if it doesn't come with it, as it will help greatly reduce fuel sloshing which will help keep the fuel going to the pump.

I like the idea for a cage around it, although if done wrong it may just become the sharp object that punctures the tank...

Thanks for the advice mate!!

Summit racing is local, so I'm gonna try to go take a look at the cell. reviews look pretty good , so I'm excited for that. They sell it with the foam in it, so I am going to get that at the same time.

I made some measurements today, and it looks like the cell will fit well between the frame rails in the back under the bed, so I have lots of room to bolt and weld on the frame for braces. Seems like this truck is built for a cell!

The only other problem I've noted is that the exhaust runs over the rear axle where I want the cell to sit, so what I'm going to have to do is run the exhaust a different route in order to properly mount the tank safely..

I am not a great fab guy, but even I can make a gas tank.

Make your own :cool: I used a stainless steel drum and cut 9.5 inches off the bottom and welded the top to the 9.5" part, sending unit worked perfect. And it fit in my spare tire well.

It also had a pretty hefty fuel cap built right in, got some flack in oregon a couple times. but the pre made fuel cell is a bad ass way to go to, if you can get the fuel gage to work right, thats why I used the same height as a stock tank and reused the sending unit.